NCEES Geotechnical Question Manual

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. Is this the first time it's been available?
Yes, this is the first time that NCEES has a complete test sample with morning and depth afternoon module.
I have the new NCEES Sample Questions & Solutions for Geotechnical book (along with the earlier versions from NCEES). I did a dry run on the first 20 questions in the AM portion last night without looking at the solutions. I got through it in just under 2 hours, and got 16 out of 20 correct.

The ones I missed were mostly qualitative, and a couple of them were just dumb mistakes.

Question 111 asks which of the following statements regarding lateral earth pressure is correct?:

a. The lateral strain required to fully mobilize the soil passive pressure is considerably smaller than the lateral strain required to fully mobilize the soil active pressure.

b. The lateral strain required to fully mobilize the soil passive pressure is slightly smaller than the lateral strain required to fully mobilize the soil active pressure.

and so on......

I guess that's one you just have to know intuitively, because I couldn't find anything to help me answer that in any of my resources.

When I checked the solution, NCEES sites NAVFAC, DM 2.2-60 as the reference, and has a picture of a graph showing the active and passive earth pressure coefficients plotted on strain vs. lateral pressure.

I downloaded the current versions of NAVFAC 7.01 & 7.02, and that information is not presented in either. When I google it, DM 2.2 turns out to be the military design manual for structural engineering (now called UFC 3-301-01). I searched through that, and still couldn't find that reference.

Can anyone help me figure out what's going on with this? :brickwall:

When I checked the solution, NCEES sites NAVFAC, DM 2.2-60 as the reference, and has a picture of a graph showing the active and passive earth pressure coefficients plotted on strain vs. lateral pressure.Can anyone help me figure out what's going on with this? :brickwall:
That's a typo. Look at page 7.2-60 (in DM7.2)

Yes. Is this the first time it's been available?
Yes, this is the first time that NCEES has a complete test sample with morning and depth afternoon module.
I've worked the morning problems for this sample test and I consider that they represent only a medium grade of difficulty compare with the problems in the real test.

I would like to see what other repeat takers think about this new sample test?

When I checked the solution, NCEES sites NAVFAC, DM 2.2-60 as the reference, and has a picture of a graph showing the active and passive earth pressure coefficients plotted on strain vs. lateral pressure.Can anyone help me figure out what's going on with this? :brickwall:
That's a typo. Look at page 7.2-60 (in DM7.2)
Thanks,

I had downloaded UFC-3-220-01N & UFC-3-220-10N which superseded NAVFAC 7.01 & 7.02. I was unable to locate this reference in either of those documents. I did some searching and was able to download NAVFAC DM7 (dated 1986) which contains 7.01, 7.02 & 7.03 from scribd. Sure enough, what I was looking for was on page 7.2-60 in that document. I'm not sure what the difference is between DM 7.2 and DM 7.02. I was never able to locate DM 7.2 by itself. It's all very confusing, but I guess that's the nature of government publications.

DM-7 contains a wealth of information, and its 824 pages are a lot to digest let alone print out. Do you think it will be an essential resource for Geotech PM, or are there specific sections that might be worth bringing along?

Fender-

Did you get the exam from NCEES. What do you think about it. I plan on getting it before the April exam also and was just looking to compare it to the Lindburg practice and 6 min solutions

Fender-
Did you get the exam from NCEES. What do you think about it. I plan on getting it before the April exam also and was just looking to compare it to the Lindburg practice and 6 min solutions
well, from what i have seen compared to the lindeburg practice problems and the SMS, both SMS and lindeburg are waaaaaay more in depth than the problems presented in the actual test.

that being said, i thought the NCEES book was decent, some concepts were a little too generalized (active wedge, and the pullout force question) in terms of difficulty compared to the actual test I would say its about 70% as hard

Fender-
well, from what i have seen compared to the lindeburg practice problems and the SMS, both SMS and lindeburg are waaaaaay more in depth than the problems presented in the actual test.

that being said, i thought the NCEES book was decent, some concepts were a little too generalized (active wedge, and the pullout force question) in terms of difficulty compared to the actual test I would say its about 70% as hard

Looks like you guys are geo. people

can you please tell me this schedule is enough for study in geo. afternoon this is my 3rd time

thanks

Book1.xls

Attachments

• Book1.xls
    28.5 KB · Views: 115
Fender-

can you please tell me this schedule is enough for study in geo. afternoon this is my 3rd time

thanks
I can't say since it is my first time this April, but that is about the # of hours I was planning on spending. Comes down to being able to work through the practice exams and the problems with comfort and adjust as needed.

Fender-

thanks
I can't say since it is my first time this April, but that is about the # of hours I was planning on spending. Comes down to being able to work through the practice exams and the problems with comfort and adjust as needed.
thanks

any other idea

Back