What's the color of the pencil?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iwire

Reaction score
Yes...my continue obsession with the NCESS pencil??? I love to collect them all!

Yes...my continue obsession with the NCESS pencil??? I love to collect them all!

It was green. I already had green when I took my FE on Oct. 2012. I was hoping for another color but it may be different color when I take my PE again.

I don't understand how some proctors can require the pencils back. Those things are like heirloom quality. All of mine will one day be bequeathed to my children, with whomever chooses engineering as a profession getting the cool black one.

Hunh. Our proctors came around and picked up our exams at our tables while we were still seated. They also specifically told us to take our pencil if we wanted to keep it.

This is in the CA agreement (from 2011). I have never felt so proud to be a Californian. :)

MECHANICAL PENCILS - Examinees must use Board issued mechanical pencils only. Examinees may NOT bring lead or erasers. If an additional pencil is needed during the exam, raise your hand and a proctor will issue an additional pencil. After the exam you may keep the mechanical pencils.

Proctor too might have obsession with Ncees pencils,...... GIVE ME THE PENCIL>>>>

Howdy,

I took the WR&E exam .. the morning session that we all took was doable (although peppered with the usual trickery).

The afternoon was a bit bizarre - the 1st four questions were definite roadblocks (at least I thought so) to challenge you. Things smoothed out for me until about 2/3rd's of the way into the exam and again I encountered a few more roadblocks. I found myself relying on science & engineering skills to answer some of the questions that did not appear readily solvable by equations out of the CERM.. ratio's and proportions were in several places, as well.

Overall, I thought that the afternoon was a bloody mess but I managed to hack my way through and only left one question hanging. Did anyone else feel like they'd been through a war with regards to the afternoon???

Rudy

Howdy,

I took the WR&E exam .. the morning session that we all took was doable (although peppered with the usual trickery).

The afternoon was a bit bizarre - the 1st four questions were definite roadblocks (at least I thought so) to challenge you. Things smoothed out for me until about 2/3rd's of the way into the exam and again I encountered a few more roadblocks. I found myself relying on science & engineering skills to answer some of the questions that did not appear readily solvable by equations out of the CERM.. ratio's and proportions were in several places, as well.

Overall, I thought that the afternoon was a bloody mess but I managed to hack my way through and only left one question hanging. Did anyone else feel like they'd been through a war with regards to the afternoon???

Rudy

I took the WRE exam. I thought the morning portion was pretty standard with the typical tricky wording on the questions trying to trip you up. I felt good on the morning with only 5 questions that I had some doubt on which were on structures which makes sense since I only took reinforced concrete and no steel classes in college. And I hated structures in college and still do now.

The afternoon part was definitely harder. It took me 2 hours to answer my first 12 questions, but I felt confident that I got those right. After seeing how much time I spent on the first 12, I picked up my pace and skipped over questions that I didn't immediately know and went for the low hanging fruit then went back for the rest. I just felt the wording of the questions was confusing but I could figure out most of them with time. When they called 15 minutes left, I had 5 questions that I did not finish. I quickly worked through 3 of them and just made educated guesses on the last two.

Time management really killed me on the afternoon. I think I could answered all the questions confidently if given more time.

The morning portion I think I got 5 wrong and in the afternoon I think I got 10 to 15 wrong since I had to work so quickly after the first 12 and didn't get a chance to double check my calculations. I wouldn't be surprised if I got 20 wrong in the afternoon. I didn't see many people taking the WRE exam. Most of the people were taking Transportation, Construction or Structural. So I don't know if that is good or bad for me.

Thanks, Artbides - my experience sounds similar. Took exam in SC - best of luck to you.

Rudy

Howdy,

The afternoon was a bit bizarre - the 1st four questions were definite roadblocks (at least I thought so) to challenge you.  Things smoothed out for me until about 2/3rd's of the way into the exam and again I encountered a few more roadblocks.  I found myself relying on science & engineering skills to answer some of the questions that did not appear readily solvable by equations out of the CERM.. ratio's and proportions were in several places, as well.

Overall, I thought that the afternoon was a bloody mess but I managed to hack my way through and only left one question hanging.  Did anyone else feel like they'd been through a war with regards to the afternoon???

Rudy
 I took the WRE exam. I thought the morning portion was pretty standard with the typical tricky wording on the questions trying to trip you up.  I felt good on the morning with only 5 questions that I had some doubt on which were on structures which makes sense since I only took reinforced concrete and no steel classes in college.  And I hated structures in college and still do now.

The afternoon part was definitely harder.  It took me 2 hours to answer my first 12 questions, but I felt confident that I got those right.  After seeing how much time I spent on the first 12, I picked up my pace and skipped over questions that I didn't immediately know and went for the low hanging fruit then went back for the rest.  I just felt the wording of the questions was confusing but I could figure out most of them with time.  When they called 15 minutes left, I had 5 questions that I did not finish.  I quickly worked through 3 of them and just made educated guesses on the last two.  

Time management really killed me on the afternoon.  I think I could answered all the questions confidently if given more time.

The morning portion I think I got 5 wrong and in the afternoon I think I got 10 to 15 wrong since I had to work so quickly after the first 12 and didn't get a chance to double check my calculations.  I wouldn't be surprised if I got 20 wrong in the afternoon.  I didn't see many people taking the WRE exam.  Most of the people were taking Transportation, Construction or Structural.  So I don't know if that is good or bad for me.
This sounds like my last experience when I passed. Good luck.

True story

Last weekend I helped out at a merit badge college for scouts. I was teaching the drafting badge. One of the kids in one of the classes stated that his dad was an engineer and also helped out with NCEES.

He had brought a huge bag of NCEES pencils, black ones and gave them out to everyone in the class

I really wanted to take a picture of the big bag of pencils but the kid was extremely annoying as it was and I didn't want to encourage him.

But I figured this group of people would like to hear about it

Last edited by a moderator:
Back