Florida PE Experience Question

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roeschh2

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been searching for a bit for an answer and the closest results kept bringing me here so I decided to sign up and bring my question here. I passed the FE and received my BS in May of 2009. I then went back for my Masters and completed that in December 2012. I worked as a research assistant throughout graduate school. I have also now been working in a professional Engineering job for almost two years. The company I work for does not employ any PEs so there has not been any pressure or input really on getting my PE. However, I'd still like to obtain the certification. I was just wondering if the research work in graduate school works towards the experience as well as how professional experience without PE oversight fits into the process. Appreciate any help from some Florida Engineers in the know.

Thanks,

roeschh2

At least in CA, the MSME counts as a year. So of the 6 required, 5 are covered by school. Then having a PE as a reference isn't always required. Your state should have specific requirements on their website.

It really depends what your masters is in and what PE your are going for. The masters program should at least take a year off your experience requirement. Go to www.fbpe.org/ for more information about the requirements, and email or call someone from the board. They will be able to provide the best advice.

If the institution is accredited by ABET, the Masters should take care of 1 year. I believe that you don't have to work under a PE for your experience to count in FL, as long as you get a PE(it doesn't have to be your boss) to verify the experience for you, you should be ok

Back