Having Difficulty with PE Studying

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcordivari

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was just approved a week and a half ago to sit for the April 2015 Pennsylvania Mechanical Systems and Materials PE Exam. I had all my ducks in a row and had pre-registered to take the School of PE class, which started this past weekend (online course). I have since purchased the MERM and downloaded all of the available School of PE notes along with their workshop problems and examples. The class seems very informative and the instructor reviews the material in a clear, sensible manner. However, when it comes time to do the in-class workshop problems I fall flat on my face, I haven't completed one within the instructors time limit yet alone get the answer correct. Meanwhile I look on my computer screen and the online poll shows that nearly 90% of my classmates got the answer, and got it within approximately 5 minutes. Meanwhile I'm going through the MERM trying to make sense of everything but feeling like I am drinking through a fire hose. Yes, the test is simple in nature: you read the question, find which series of basic algebraic formulas are needed in order to solve for an unknown, look up a value on a table or two, make sure units are correct, and you're done. But I can't help but think I have no chance in hell passing this exam with 6 weeks to go and I can't solve problems to save my life. The School of PE course was recommended by a high school peer who stated he passed on his first try along with 4 peers. Am I "S-O-L" at this point or do I actually stand a chance? I've got a lot of time and money wrapped up in this exam and I'm trying to forge ahead and be successful.

Mike

Mike... you're not alone. I'm studying for the April exam and too wonder if I'm spinning my wheels endlessly for this exam. I stare at the EERM, attempt the problems, and just shake my head. Tonight I start my School of PE Environmental course. I can't say if you're SOL but I will encourage you by saying that you always stand a chance. A few things to consider, you can't compare yourself to your fellow classmates. You don't know how long they have been studying the material and some of them may be repeat test takers. You have only completed week 1 of the course. I think if you put the effort into doing the practice problems that SOPE gives students AND doing the problems in the MERM, you'll at least become familiar with the problems. Even in undergrad, we learned that practice makes perfect. Even when you get the problems wrong, you'll know how to get it right as you continue to work the problems. Then you get faster as time goes on. It is very overwhelming especially when you have so much money invested in the exam. My coworker took a practice exam a few weeks before she sat for the Civil and she got a 12%. She passed on her first try.

So keep plugging away at it. Don't give up on yourself. You have a 50% chance of passing ... and when it doubt choose C. :) Good luck!

Mike,

First of all, as others noted, don't give up. You still have roughly six weeks to prepare for the exam. The key is to maximize your use of this time. Reading and working through the MERM can be a daunting process. I did not read through the entire MERM, nor did I work any of the problems included in the MERM itself. I skimmed through the MERM to familiarize myself with the content - how it was set up, where each discipline (Fluids, Thermo, Heat Transfer etc.) was located, as well as the Appendices, so that I knew what material/references/knowledge was included in the MERM.

I immediately began working problems from the Six Minute Solutions and NCEES practice exams. I have not seen those mentioned in your posts but they were extremely valuable for my prep. At the very minimum I would get a copy of the NCEES practice exam.

While working the SMS/NCEES I ran into MANY problems I couldn't work through on my own. I flipped to the answers for a reference, noted the method/approach/formulas used, found the formulas in the MERM and highlighted them. My first time through the SMS/NCEES I wasn't anywhere close to finishing on time. This prep was intended to familiarize myself with the problems and the approach used. It is also fantastic prep for using your references.

Don't be discouraged by your difficulties in working through the SOPE problems. You should keep plugging away, and even if you're getting wrong answers every time, make sure you are learning the method/formulas used to arrive at the correct answer. Working each problem in roughly six minutes requires A LOT of practice. You simply need to plug away at as many problems you can find - this is where a combination of SMS, NCEES, and SOPE would be great for you.

Again, you have six weeks, and a lot of work ahead of you. If you're serious about being a one time test taker (I was following roughly the plan I outlined above), then you need to invest the time to work through as many problems as you can.

Best of luck to you.

I feel your pain .... as I too feel completely overwhelmed (and stupid) when it comes to preparing for this test.

If your SoPE class is anything like my FE review I took from them, most of those workshop problems are coming straight from the Lindeburg books, and are not 6 minute problems. Keep your head up.

Think about what you've learned about what you need to feel comfortable with the test that you otherwise might have not known yet. You have six weeks yet. Your test is not tomorrow but six weeks away. Of course you will struggle as you get familiar but you're an engineer; you'll get it and figure out what is required to get it in time for the test.

I took the SOPE for Mechanical HVAC and had the same issue you are having. What I found was that I needed to have read the material BEFORE the class so that I was prepared to follow the lecture and work the problems. My suggestion is to try to get ahead and do the problems before the class so that you can catch the key concepts.

Good luck!

I feel your pain .... as I too feel completely overwhelmed (and stupid) when it comes to preparing for this test.

If your SoPE class is anything like my FE review I took from them, most of those workshop problems are coming straight from the Lindeburg books, and are not 6 minute problems. Keep your head up.

I'm taking the Civil (WRE depth) in April - half of me feels like it is coming up way too quickly and the other half feels like April 17th can't get here soon enough!

John, I think we both took/are taking the EET class. I completely agree with feeling overwhelmed, and at times totally stupid! :) That said, I am so glad to be in the class. I'm in water resources depth and Nazrul is an awesome teacher, so it's really helping.

mcordivari - I agree with the advice above - keep plugging away at it, and try not to beat yourself up if you don't get a practice problem right, and just try to figure out what you missed when you were doing the problem. I know, easier said then done! As much as possible, try to review the material before the class to get a head start.

Back