What State doesn't need additional experience for foreign undergrads

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamMt

Reaction score
I have done my MS from Georgia Tech and undergrad from India. When trying to apply for the PE exam in Oklahoma, I was told that I would need 6 years experience and not the usual 3 years as i had not got my undergrad degree in the US. Does anyone know which State does not have these restrictions?

Thanks,

does it really matter? If you want the Oklahoma PE even if you passed elsewhere would likely have to wait to gain the experience first.

does it really matter? If you want the Oklahoma PE even if you passed elsewhere would likely have to wait to gain the experience first.
I am of the belief that the closer you are to getting out of school the easier the exam tends to be. The breadth subjects aren't something I typically see anymore, so when I was studying for the exam it was like I was having to relearn a lot of those topics again. The less time that has elapsed since you last did those sorts of calculations the easier it will be to recall that sort of information. I dunno if that holds true, but in my (limited) experience the people that I know who struggle with the exam the most are the ones that are taking it after being out of school for a while. So I can see a reason to want to take the exam as early as possible, even if you can't be a licensed engineer in your state until you do meet the requirements. At least you'd already have the exam out of the way.

But back to the OP's question, no I don't know which states would require less experience.

Thanks Intern. I will look to confirm. I want to have to have PE certification sooner than later even if I cant use it here straightaway. Thanks for your comments.

Thanks VT.

I have gotten my degree evaluated. It was found to be a few credits short on social and basic sciences and as a result my bachelors degree will be regarded a related sciences (not an engineering) degree. That is why I am facing these issues.

IL lets you take the test early, but given what you said in IL you would also need more than the normal experience for the related degree vs the straight engineering to get the license. I think IL requires 8 yrs for non engineering degrees.

Back