Environmental FE CBT

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patattacka

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

First post, but I've been reading for a while. I am a non-engineer major (majored in Biochemistry with a BS). I will be taking the FE environmental this coming Saturday (10/18). I had considerably less time to prepare than I wish I did, but because I am taking this exam to qualify for an Air Force job, the longer I wait the less chance I have of getting the job (its either now or January). I have a review manual specifically for enviro by Kaplan (lots of errata in it, which can be very frustrating) which is updated for the CBT, and also I got the flashcards and practice exams from feprep.com, which I haven't gotten into much since I just got them.

Anyway, anyone else that has taken the enviro CBT, please give me some feedback. I am assuming it will be a lot of mass/energy balances, mixed in with fluid dynamics, some civil, and math, etc. FYI, I have alreay heavily familiarized myself with the reference manual and the specs provided by the NCEES. I am mostly just looking for exerience. From reading on here, a lot of Civil people have said that units are very tricky, and time management is a tricky lady.

Thanks a ton

Pat

Also, a shout out to MikeC for getting my account to work

Also, this question is for anyone:

Were there formulas you were expected to know that were not given or could not be derived from the equations in the reference manual? I am fimiliar with the equations in the manual, but since my background is mostly in the chemical areas and a lot of physiology/biology, I do not know much ridumentary engineering

Thanks

Welcome to the board! In spite of having been a member here forever (as in years and years and years), I've never gotten around to taking my FE. So I'm not really speaking from first hand experience, however I think that you should definitely take a practice exam before going much further. This will give you a better idea of the type of questions you will be facing.

Also, there is a link somewhere around here with some videos made at texas A&M that were free to download and reviewed each section of the exam... you can google Texas A & M engineering review videos and a bunch of the different subjects will come up

Thanks a lot, EG. Unfortunately I think it might be a little late for me to start watching youtube videos, I am going to just stick to the method I am now, while also taking lots of practice exams using fepreps quiz bank, which I enjoy. But I will check them out regardless, thanks for sharing that.

I don't know how the new computer-based test works but when you get to a problem if you don't immediately know the way to solve it just skip it and come back to it if you can

Thanks Road Guy,

I know that alt+F on the new test will tag a question for later. I am going to only answer the easy parts first, then use the remainder of my time on the first half solving those. I'm fairly decent on standardized tests, but I am literally still learning new concepts days before the test, not a fun "review" if you ask me! Since I've started planning on taking this test, I have become a lot more interested in engineering and the whole concept of it and I wouldn't mind getting my masters in an engineering field.

"2)

the applicant is not certified as an engineer intern and has at least one of the following
:
(a)
received a bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline recognized by the
board from a board-approved engineering curriculum and has twelve years of engineering experience subsequent to receiving the degree
;
(b)
received a master's degree in an engineering discipline recognized by the board from a board-approved engineering curriculum and has at least six years of engineering experience subsequent to receiving the degree; or

© received a doctorate degree in an engineering dis cipline recognized by the board from a board approved engineering curriculum and has at least four years of engineering experience subsequent to receiving the degree"

The above is from New Mexico^

So since I can't be an EIT without a ABET degree, my only other option is getting a master's or PhD, both of which essentially require a BS in engineering because of the core requirements (math, physics, etc). So esentially...no. Which is too bad, I showed by the test that I am capable the same as someone else who has a degree (minus references and the like, of course). I'm not bitter about this in the least because I completely understant why engineers need to be held to very high standards. Since taking the journey to passing the FE, I have a deep found respect for the professionality of engineering and why it is important to uphold high standards for public safety and the like. Would have been nice to have the option!

All well.

But again, congrats on passing the FE!!

Back