Just took my PE and am looking to put more letters after my name

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lundy

Reaction score
I'm still in the studying mood and would like to ask about LEED GA (green associate) and LEED AP BD+C (building design and construction).

Take the GA before the BD+C?

What books to use? Free resources?

How easy is it?

How many hours do you need to study for each?

Time limit for the questions?

What common mistakes get made during study/prep/test taking?

It seems that there are free resources here http://www.usgbc.org/credentials which I will look at.

I'm a Mechanical engineer working as a HVAC and refrigeration guy. I have worked on a few LEED projects, building flushes, IEQ's for ventilation and am pretty familiar with LEED online.

Thanks for any help or advice you might have!

GA just study the core concepts book and you'll be fine.

BD+C is going to require significantly more effort. Especially if your LEED experience is limited.

LEED is a great way to maximize the number of letters to add to your name.

I studied for one night. It was pretty easy, but that was version 1 or 2. Might be more difficult now.

Id recommend GBES practice exams. They do cost but I used them to pass GA and plan on using them for BD&C. I have to take mine before June 15. Im hoping a month is enough. I spent about an hour a day for 2 weeks on GA and passed.

PMP. That way you can be a certified pimp for your PE-ness.

One of these days I need to actually study for this exam. I'm registered and paid, and have basically until the end of the year to take and pass the exam.
It actually wasn't bad. The biggest challenge was remembering that everything is based on Academic thinking and not on actual real-world practice.

You should look into RCDD as well

that way you will have

Your Name, P.E., RCDD, LEED

Just like IT folks..they love their letters!

One of these days I need to actually study for this exam. I'm registered and paid, and have basically until the end of the year to take and pass the exam.
It actually wasn't bad. The biggest challenge was remembering that everything is based on Academic thinking and not on actual real-world practice.
That's exactly the feedback I've gotten from PMPs in my office. The exam is purely academic and if you go in thinking like a real world PM you'll surely fail.

That's exactly the feedback I've gotten from PMPs in my office. The exam is purely academic and if you go in thinking like a real world PM you'll surely fail.
The training class I took was very helpful because that was the point they emphasized more than anything. Every thing is black & white, very methodical, one person=one role.

PMP is a waste of time and money...IMHO

Not if the company pays for it. I was out 4 hours of PTO and about $50 when all was said and done.

At work they had a formal study group. The guy who led the group said to remember to answer the questions as if your name is Pem-Bob (name modified from PMBOK). "Pem-Bob" is a fictional project manager whose projects are large in size and scope yet perfectly organized. His requirements are clearly defined and when he executes projects, he follows the procedures outlined in the PMBOK (pronounced pem-bock) exactly as they are written. Further when changes are required to his project, he completes the entire change approval process outlined in the PMBOK.

You should look into RCDD as well

that way you will have

Some letters are more valuable than others... I'm trying to get "P.E." behind my name, in front of the CISSP-ISSEP, PMP, C|EH, SFPC, PSP, VCA, ITILv3, Security+, A+

Ok, so we IT guys like our extra letters...

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2015 at 3:57 PM, iwire said: You should look into RCDD as well

that way you will have

Some letters are more valuable than others... I'm trying to get "P.E." behind my name, in front of the CISSP-ISSEP, PMP, C|EH, SFPC, PSP, VCA, ITILv3, Security+, A+Ok, so we IT guys like our extra letters...
You need a real hobby.

An IT guy who lists all his certifications is either making fun of himself and his industry or has a major inferiority complex.  I think I fall into the first category....  back on topic, the PMP is an academic cert, and while the PMBOK has a lot of good best practices, it by no means gives a project manager a lick of common sense, or guarantees that you'll be at quality, under budget and completed early.  The PMP looks good on a resume, and the skills that are introduced in studying for it are useful to getting your work done, if implemented with a bit of common sense.

Back