TE vs PTOE - a few questions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PsychoNumber1

Awesome
Reaction score
this may be more california specific, but i'm not sure...

is there a benefit of one over the other? is there even a benefit of either? we're trying to find as much info on these exams as we can and the PELS website has very limited information available. i couldn't even tell you if the test was 8 hrs long or if it's open book. i know its only offered once a year and that's about it. the PTOE on the other hand is national and offered way more often.

the TE allows use of the title while the other is a certification allowing the use of the PTOE title. is there anything else? it seems like that's all these exams are really good for and the fact that some employers require it for certain jobs.

any sort of information will be helpful and appreciated. thanks.

edit: also the PTOE has a 90+% pass rate and the TE is closer to 30%

Last edited by a moderator:
traffic engineer, it's covered as a title authority under the law in california. in order to call yourself a traffic engineer you have to pass the TE exam. i think, as the info available is really limited

Hi,

I sent the application form for taking PTOE. Can I know how many days it will take for getting confirmation from the board?

Thanks,

Rama.

Back