Optimal Fuel Injector Spray Angle

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul B

Reaction score
I've been charged with the task of designing a fuel injector port for a small displacement, high-RPM engine to be used for racing. I have an old design to go from, but what my colleagues and I would like to find out more about is whether or not there is an optimal angle for the injector to be at in order to achieve the best performance possible. After a quick Google search, I've learned that it's probably a good idea to have the fuel spray aimed directly at the valve, so as to vaporize the fuel and mix it with the intake air. Does anyone have any other input?

A Google search and a post on an engineer board counts as research nowadays?

I've done more research, and I now know that my initial idea was more or less correct. Now, it's a question of finding a way to calculate the way the spray of fuel will behave when injected into a column of moving air. I've never taken fluid dynamics, but I feel like I need to know the CFM of air in the intake tube at the engine's power band RPM, and then figure out how much the spray of fuel will curve when introduced to that column of air. I'm going to go talk to a fluid dynamics professor later today, but if anyone here has any input, I'd appreciate it.

Back