consulting Billing rates (HVAC)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreyshka

Reaction score
I'm doing HVAC consulting design work in Northern California. What are the billing rates for clients? $/sq.ft.?

What services provide to customers (load calcs, CAD design, title 24, etc) ?

We are in west TN and charge between 3-5% of construction. If we HAVE to work by the hour its $125/hr.

Great question.  We are in the process of selling our 38 year old HVAC business and my husband has been asked to stay on as a consultant/subcontractor.  I found this thread looking for the going rate.  He will be doing some load calcs, technical support and business support as the buyers are new to owning and operating their own shop.  

I'm in north Texas and work for a relatively small HVAC and plumbing design/build/service contractor. If we do design work, we normally bundle it into the overall job cost to secure the installation. We actually haven't ever done purely design work (providing stamped engineering drawings for someone else to install) because we don't have insurance for that. However, I believe the going rate around here for a small design firm is about $1.50 per square foot per discipline. For example, if you design only HVAC on 10,000ft^2 building, design fees for providing stamped engineered drawings would be $15,000. If you designed both HVAC and plumbing for 10,000ft^2 building, fee would be $30,000. That will at least get you in the ballpark. 

Back