Taking PE water resource depth

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbose

Reaction score
Hi,

I saw the breadth exam specification in the NCEES website. The transportation portion has only the

Geometric design part. So do I assume there wouldnot be any question in traffic area for the breadth exam in the morning. In the afternoon I am taking Water and environmental and so I dont want study it if is not necessary.

Thanks

Hi,
I saw the breadth exam specification in the NCEES website. The transportation portion has only the

Geometric design part. So do I assume there wouldnot be any question in traffic area for the breadth exam in the morning. In the afternoon I am taking Water and environmental and so I dont want study it if is not necessary.

Thanks
I read that too but I would not chance it.

So do I assume there wouldnot be any question in traffic area for the breadth exam in the morning. In the afternoon I am taking Water and environmental and so I dont want study it if is not necessary.

I think that's a good assumption... remember, this test is not about being 100% right, it is just about being 100% right at least 70% of the time. The very worst case with your assumption is you don't answer one or two questions right... you'll easily make up for that by spending the time you would have spent studying transportation polishing your WR/Env knowledge.

I saw in several other places that Geometric design was all we need for the Tranportation morning section, plus a little on acceleration/deceleration. That's all I plan to look at!

I had one question that wasn't geometric/acc/dec. It was a lookup question. But you better know the geometry backwards and forwards bc if you don't the time it'll take you to figure it out will kill you. They're not all simple plug and chug questions. I PROMISE I will get my traffic sheet up this week- it is all you need with the CERM.

Stay away from Water Resources/Environmental afternoon portion....evil evil exam....Transportation is much easier.

I bought the NCEES Sample Problems book. In the errata on the website it says

"Beginning with the April 2008 exam, traffic analysis is not covered in the Transportation portion of the Breadth exam. The Transportation portion of the Breadth exam will only contain questions about geometric design. ... "

http://www.ncees.org/exams/study_materials...ivil_errata.pdf

On page 5 errata for p.34, Breadth Question 114:

Hi,

Thanks
Per the Errata for the 2008 NCEES Civil PE Sample Questions and Solutions:

"Beginning with the April 2008 exam, traffic analysis is not covered in the Transportation portion of the Breadth exam. The Transportation portion of the Breadth exam will only contain questions about geometric design."

I studied vertical and horizontal curves, sight distance, stopping distance things like that. In the new 2011 NCEES sample questions book there was a question about weaving sections. That was as simple as looking it up using the index.

SORRY! My display was switched to outline and I didnt see all the other replies!!

Last edited by a moderator:
While there will be traffic questions in the morning portion, anything in the morning should be covered in the CERM...nothing more complicated than that (no special transportation references should be needed).

Stay away from Water Resources/Environmental afternoon portion....evil evil exam....Transportation is much easier.
The only problem with this is that the questions get more in-depth requiring specific books which most of us don't have who aren't involved in the traffic field. Keep in mind, people who took the Trans. exam are probably saying the same thing and encouraging people to take the WR. I took the WR portion of the exam and it was not that bad.

Back