Advice for 2nd attempt

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maximus808

Reaction score
According to my diagnostics: I got 52 questions correct. I hear 56 is passing or about the cut score.

The first time studying, I mainly focused on going through the CERM and tabbing what I felt was necessary. I ended up with lots of tabs. Next, I bought bought versions of the NCEES practice problems and did every problem but not in a timed manner just at my own pace. I tabbed those books too. I went through the Smart Pros CDs to get me familiar with most of the other topics.

I think my problem was I was relying on the two NCEES books to much. Although they helped a little bit, it wasn't enough.

My new plan of attack:

1. I have the 6 min. Solutions for Trans. and I will work out every problem on a spiral notebook. I just briefly went through this book but wish I went through it better.

2. I have the Trans. Chelapati books which I will try and do every problem similar to the 6 min. Solutions.

3. I signed up for the Passing Zone, and I will keep up with the schedule to get me familiar with the other topics.

4. I will take practice exams. The first time, I did not take one practice exam. This is such a common study practice and I don't know why I didn't put myself in the actual test envirnoment. I think I read too many reviews on Amazon on how the Lindeburg Sample Exam was too hard. But now I will try and take at least 2 or 3 maybe more before the the actual exam. I will take Lindeburg's test, even pereview.net has sample exams too. I failed to do this because I felt I could get by with just the CERM and NCEES Books.

What do you guys think? Is the better plan of attack. My diagnostic scores:

Here's my diagnostic report for the Civil - Transportation:

Breadth - Construction - 75

Breadth - Geotechnical - 62

Breadth - Structural - 50

Breadth - Transportation - 75

Breadth - Water and Env. - 75

Traffic Analysis - 56

Geometric Design - 67

Transportation Planning - 67

Traffic Safety - 50

Other Topics - 70

I'm not that strong in Structural but I felt that if I did better on the material that I already know than I could turn 75's into 80's and even 56's into 75's.

I plan to focus heavily on Transportation this time instead of everything else. What do you guys think? Thanks Engineering Boards. This board will be one of the sole reason I pass the PE exam!

Those interest in a study group, I'm in too. Just let me know how we can set up an online study group. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to my diagnostics: I got 52 questions correct. I hear 56 is passing or about the cut score.
The first time studying, I mainly focused on going through the CERM and tabbing what I felt was necessary. I ended up with lots of tabs. Next, I bought bought versions of the NCEES practice problems and did every problem but not in a timed manner just at my own pace. I tabbed those books too. I went through the Smart Pros CDs to get me familiar with most of the other topics.

I think my problem was I was relying on the two NCEES books to much. Although they helped a little bit, it wasn't enough.

My new plan of attack:

1. I have the 6 min. Solutions for Trans. and I will work out every problem on a spiral notebook. I just briefly went through this book but wish I went through it better.

2. I have the Trans. Chelapati books which I will try and do every problem similar to the 6 min. Solutions.

3. I signed up for the Passing Zone, and I will keep up with the schedule to get me familiar with the other topics.

4. I will take practice exams. The first time, I did not take one practice exam. This is such a common study practice and I don't know why I didn't put myself in the actual test envirnoment. I think I read too many reviews on Amazon on how the Lindeburg Sample Exam was too hard. But now I will try and take at least 2 or 3 maybe more before the the actual exam. I will take Lindeburg's test, even pereview.net has sample exams too. I failed to do this because I felt I could get by with just the CERM and NCEES Books.

Traffic Analysis - 56

Geometric Design - 67

Traffic Safety - 50

Other Topics - 70

I'm not that strong in Structural but I felt that if I did better on the material that I already know than I could turn 75's into 80's and even 56's into 75's.

I plan to focus heavily on Transportation this time instead of everything else. What do you guys think? Thanks Engineering Boards. This board will be one of the sole reason I pass the PE exam!

Those interest in a study group, I'm in too. Just let me know how we can set up an online study group. Thanks.
Wow, I was thinking 52 would be just enough to pass.

Isar,

It's a tough pill to swallow knowing you were so close yet so far. I'm so motivated to do better than I will have no doubt that I passed. I'm going to enroll in ppi2pass's passing zone, my local pe review class held by the asce, do the entire 6 min. transporation solutions, and do as much problems from Chelapti's Transporation Books, I feel that the passing zone and my review class should cover the morning section while the Chelapti's and 6 min. solutions will help better me in the depth. I can't say that the next test I can score a 52 cause it may be harder. That's why I have to go all out on this next one. I'm going to be taking multple sample exams too.

Thanks.

What worked for me was solving problems. I would read a few chapters in the CERM and then work the problems in the accompanying Lindeburg sample problems book. The problems in that book were much much harder than what you would expect to see on the exam. Some of the problems started out giving you a one hour time limit for the problem. They were much more in depth then anything you'd expect to see on the real exam b/c they usually rolled multiple concepts into one problem. Which was good for learning the new concepts and remembering items that you had already studied in previous chapters. I found the hardest part of working these problems was identifying what the question was asking me to solve for and determining the process to get there. I remember having to peak at the solution a lot, in order to just get started. But, over weeks of solving problems some of it must have sunk in, and when I got to the actual exam I was able to easily

identify the question and solution process. It helped that the problems on the exam were a lot more straightforward than the ones I had been working while studying.

What worked for me was just working practice problems that were much harder than those that are actually on the exam. This familiarizes you with all your references, which I tabbed while working the problems. To avoid over tabbing I tended to only tab the concepts which came up in problems repeatedly.

I can't attest to the value of a study course or the six minute solutions. I have known people that have used both and have been successful. I can't speak from experiences but I believe the courses give you a structured study strategy and keep you on track. I assume the six minute solutions give you plenty of practice problems to work also. Of the people I know who got the six minute solutions, I'm pretty sure all of them got the six minute solution for every subject, not just their depth subject.

Don't be afraid of working problems that are going to be harder than the actual exam. I feel they better prepare you for the exam b/c you will be over prepared, which really isn't a bad thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
With that motivation you will pass!!

When they gave the score I was so close, yet so far (69 and 68).

When I have done a few problems on the Lindeburg, it can get very discouraging because of the difficulty and time they take.

I guess this is why the actual test seems so much easier.

I do the test as if it was a homework, the problem is that with no practice solving questions,

looking up the resources/references is very time consuming . It takes me around 10 min per question.

What makes no sense in California is that they make us wait twice as long to get our score for the national test, plus we have 3 tests. SO many takers wait and wait for the results(2 + months), that by the time they are release(end of July) they are discourage.

I tend to agree with what roadwreck said. Read one or more chapters out of the CERM before working the problems in the accompanying practice problems book. The problems that are marked as requiring one-hour may or may not take that long, but they enforce the basic concepts. In all honesty, most of the one-hour problems can be solved in <15 minutes if you know what you're doing.

I know several people, including myself, who saved one practice exam until 2-3 weeks before the real test. This last minute practice exam enabled me to guage where I stood for all of the subjects. Do not get hung up on your scores (good or bad) from this last practice exam. It just provides an idea of what material you can cover in the last couple of weeks before the exam.

Lastly, don't stress out by putting in tons of studying during the week leading up to the exam. You may be able to absorb more information, but you are likely to burn out too. If cramming is in your schedule, provide enough down time to allow your brain to settle down and recover.

Thanks guys. I have to be honest, I did not prepare myself well for the first time. I read on these forums and on sites like amazon that the NCEES practice problems are most like the exam. Automatically what came to my mind was.....why not just do these problems only and I should be set. I thought I could manage the morning by briefly going through the CERM problems. I did not even take a sample exam........

Round 2/Second Attempt, a whole different mind set.......I'm so determined to do as many problems possible, majority my focus/depth Transportation as well as Geo, Water, and finally structural and wastewater. I'm going to consume myself in not only passing this exam by getting the cut score 56, 57, or whatever 50 it is....but strive for an 80 or higher. I want to walk out that day knowing I passed, this past exam I walked out definitely questioning myself that I knew I was on the borderline.

A co-worker of mine failed for the 4th time, he's so discouraged. I told him, if you want to pass you have to do something different....don't approach this test like you do everytime. I know how I studied and the funny thing was that when I was taking the exam, my mind was in a state of shock....realizing how little the NCEES books was going to help. By doing as much problems as possible and expecting the hardest test possible, I will be prepared. Thanks everyone. It's boards like this that give people like me confidence to do it. I hope to pass and will be a contributor and I hope to encourage others who don't make it the first time. Thanks again!

I must admit, since I was taking the Transportation depth module and Structural topics were only covered in the morning portion of the exam, I skipped studying structural altogether. I'm not advocating this as the best way to go, but when I looked at the CERM and saw that at least 1/3 of the book seems to be structural related and I was only going to see about 8 structural questions on the morning portion I decided to take my lumps and focus on the other areas. I got lucky that when I did take the exam the structural related questions were pretty straightforward (I thought).

I took a practice exam, which I bombed, the weekend before the real exam. The practice exam was a real eye opener. After taking that I thought for sure I was going to fail the actual exam. In the week before the actual exam, I stopped working problems and just organized my references and materials. I reviews concepts and my shortcomings on the practice exam, but I didn't work any problems.

Maximum808, you have the right attitude to pass this exam when you give it again. Practice Practice and practice some more and you will be confident when you take this exam. I practiced the Lindeburg sample problems even though those are not the kind of questions that appear on the exam. The 6 min solutions really prepares you to face even the toughest problems. Its better to prepare for the worst and then finding out that the actual test is easier than the other way round. If you are going to take transp depth , make sure that you also concenterate on hydrology, open channel questions and engg economics, because you will get questions from these topics in the afternoon exam . Make sure you put in the hours ..it will be worth it when you pass it.All the best

Thanks. I'm currently working on the 6 min. solutions and I plan to do every problem from that book. There's some problems that I can't find the method or equation in the CERM or HCM. Once question regarding Cycle Length using Webster's Method? The solution is straight forward but I found only a small section in the CERM that discusses v/c, saturation, signal timing. But the more problems I do, the more familiar I will get and answering these types of random questions.

My Other Topics such as hydrology, open channel, geotech, etc. was actually not that bad. I got a 70 and felt ok about it but I know I can do better. I found the NCEES books to help especially on these sections which finally brought a smile to my face after realizing it would only help on a few problems. But 4-5 months out, it feels better to start now than later. :)

My new plan of attack:

Traffic Analysis - 56

Geometric Design - 67

Traffic Safety - 50

Other Topics - 70

Maximus808,

Your plan is good. My scour was much low on my first attempt. I was absolutely sure that even if I wouldn't pass, I would be close to 70%. :brickwall: I was not. So, I skiped April test and spend lots of time (1mo. for each morning session) studying. I am still not good in structure and not strong enough in geo and econom., but match better than before. Now I am planning to spend few mo. working every transportation problem I have (I have a lot) and last few mo. would work on PPI internet Cafe. I also would try to read a theory more, it was a lot of word questions in pass October. This is my plan. I also started to time myself. Did couple practice morning tests (upsetting), but did not give up, yet. I am spending to much time studying and sometimes thinking, that I am not smart enough to spend all this time :withstupid: when some people need 20-30 hrs total. But this time I want to pass it for sure, and what ever it take, I’ll do.

I figure that it doesn’t matter how NCEES curve the passing score – 69.5-to 71% is the goal. I also think that just concentrating on DEPTH only not a good idea, unless you are very good at all Breadth areas or can do 100% on the afternoon (which is almost impossible).

This is my plan, smile and keep studying :chair:

Titina,

Hey, I'm not sure about others, but I'm willing to participate in online study groups. Post any questions you want or topics you want to discuss and we can go through it even PM me if you want. My depth is transportation and I've went through the 6 min. solutions for trans, practice problems from lindeburg for trans, and currently going through Chelapati's trans book. My weakness in trans is intersection design, signals, unsignalized, and conflicts. The other areas I feel good about. My other weakness was geotech, mainly foundatioins which I am currently going over. The CERM I felt is really lacking in that area. Water is my strength so I'm not too worried about that. Construction is a toss up and it seem like such a vast amount topics can be asked. I feel good about scheduling, earthwork, and eng. economics. My other weakness is structures which I will go over probably at the end. But keep up the posting and studying ;)

Titina,
Hey, I'm not sure about others, but I'm willing to participate in online study groups. Post any questions you want or topics you want to discuss and we can go through it even PM me if you want. My depth is transportation and I've went through the 6 min. solutions for trans, practice problems from lindeburg for trans, and currently going through Chelapati's trans book. My weakness in trans is intersection design, signals, unsignalized, and conflicts. The other areas I feel good about. My other weakness was geotech, mainly foundatioins which I am currently going over. The CERM I felt is really lacking in that area. Water is my strength so I'm not too worried about that. Construction is a toss up and it seem like such a vast amount topics can be asked. I feel good about scheduling, earthwork, and eng. economics. My other weakness is structures which I will go over probably at the end. But keep up the posting and studying ;)
Guys,

I was readying about study group you planned together. I am not sure how it works. I steel need some practice in geo, construc (eath move), econom - almost everything. I am trasportation major. We may try to work together. My e-mail is [email protected]. Do you have a scheduale or you just work a broad problems?

I think it was useful (to me) to get ALL the 6 minute solution books and work the problems for the morning section (geotech, water, env, etc) those are some of the best books ppi prints..

something that I think helped me on the structural was getting the old statics books and the steel manual and getting familiar with the types of problems mentiones on the NCEES study breakdown list...(sheet /moment diagrams, truss stuff, etc)

Back