Yelp and such

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
so lately I have noticed a trend among some business we use (one being an urgent care place, another a new vet, a third a dentist..) but they have all asked up to write a review on Yelp and then they send us a gift card for the review. they all even have websites dedicated to this where we could copy a link to the positive review and then which gift card we want...

we chose Kroger gift cards to all since we have too many hungry teenagers to feed, but in a way I cant tell if its fascist that I am participating in this or hipsterish since I am fighting the system!?! so far I am +$75 bucks..

all my reviews have been one liners such as "Fast Service" or "Nice People"

I've written some out of the kindness of my heart without being asked. Never been paid for them though. Also, Yelp doesn't include my comments in the "recommended" section either.

It does sicken me to be honest, however, have you tried to feed 3 teenagers before?

You may want to revisit the term "fascist" before using it in this context.

The thing with Yelp and other such sites is that the majority of people motivated enough to place a review are pissed off about something. If 98% of your customers are happy campers but the other 2% are the only ones posting feedback, it will negatively affect future business from people that use those services as a guide. They're trying to come up with a motivation for those that aren't either ecstatic or pissed to post at least a lukewarm response.

As long as you aren't accepting crumby service and then giving a rave review in return for a gift card, I don't see a problem.

this is why I generally ignore all online comments for anything any or all of the below could be true

-they were paid to write RAVING reviews

-people were paid to write poor reviews by competitors

-people are bribed to write mediocre reviews (which is actually the least of my concerns because like RG they will put the minimal comment in)

-people are idiots and telling me that the world is going to end if I eat someplace

the urgernt care place was good, but it cost me a grand, so when offered I accepted !

Neither of the other two gave bad service, they are new businesses so we will see... they were one of the few vets I have been to that don't seem to think your dog/cat has human like rights... some vets here wont see your fluffy unless you agree to run blood work.. ?? Hell I don't even run blood work on myself!

Go ahead and yelp away on eb.com all you want! positive reviews get eb.com decals (when they come in) ;)

My yelp review:

tolerant of all disciplines, full of hookers, bacon, & blow!!!

Great place to hang out and make friends.

My Yelp Review:

Gr8 plays two pass the thyme

(sorry I had to for the last time)

I need to check my email account when i get home. The new pilates mat i bought came with a flyer that said they would send a free foam roller block if I used it and wrote a review.

Back