New Corps permit requirements March 18, 2012

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
We have been told there are some new permit requirements coming out march 18th for stream crossings. 404 Permits.

I can't seem to find anything about them, ha anyone heard anything about what is going to be coming out?

Nothing but arch culverts and bridges allowed????.

I haven't gotten a chance to take a look at the new ones... looks like it should be effective mid-march....

http://www.usace.arm...idePermits.aspx

Okay, it looks like although there were proposed modifications dealing with the Aquatic Life Movements general condition, that would have promoted bottomless culverts, BUT the public comments recieved expressed many concerns and additional alternatives. The provision requiring bottomless culverts was not adopted.

It appears that the modified general contition just says that the crossings must be designied/constructed "while sustaining the movements of aquatic species indigenous to the water body." and that compliance is at the discretion of the district engineer. This can pretty much be found in the permit summary at the above website at about page 113.

I didn't see anything else referencing restrictions on culvert type elsewhere... but I do keep getting interrupted by co-workers :)

Last edited by a moderator:
that link is more handy than any environmentalist I have ever hired!

Thanks!

It appears that the modified general contition just says that the crossings must be designied/constructed "while sustaining the movements of aquatic species indigenous to the water body."
Does that include the Brown Trout and the Sewer Bass?

the way i read this is that for an existing bridge that was previoulsy permitted, to replace it you dont have to fill out a PCN?

the way i read this is that for an existing bridge that was previoulsy permitted, to replace it you dont have to fill out a PCN?
There are few things that would contribute this, like how long ago was it previously permitted, has the regional/district engineer imposed any additional NWP modifications in your area, amount of additional impacts, what are you doing to that existing bridge etc etc etc... often, with existing bridges, the area has already been mitigated in some form of another... so maintenance work isn't going to make any "additional" impacts...

If you PM me what county you are working on and a few more details, I can see what I can come up with to verify if you have to or not

Back