how many hours do you work

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what do you put in?

• 0-10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 11-20

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 21-30

• 31-40

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • 41-50

Votes: 55 52.9%
  • 51-60

Votes: 12 11.5%
  • 61-70

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • 71-80

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 81-90

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 91-100

• I'm insane

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

Sschell

Dude?
Reaction score
I did a search and could not find a previous topic on this..

personally I am in the 41-50 hour category (typ)

It would be interesting if we could corellate this to pay scale and dicipline, but I'm not smart enough to know how to do that...

I did a search and could not find a previous topic on this..
personally I am in the 41-50 hour category (typ)

Same here I work longer to get more done, stay employed and a bonus. I'm willing to more on weekends but my lady and six year old girl won't let me.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a poll like this a ways back...maybe it didn't make the move.

How many hours you work? 37.5, sometime more when traveling but that is usually paid as comp time

How many hours do you really work? 37.5

For how many hours do you get paid? 37.5

Maybe we should re-make the poll and ask

How many hours you work?

How many hours do you really work?

For how many hours do you get paid?

^^^ That's a good idea

How many hours you work? ~50 hrs per week depending on travel schedule

How many hours do you really work? 40 hrs per week contracted (limited comp time available for OT)

For how many hours do you get paid? Strictly 40 hrs per week

JR

Last edited:
How many hours you work? - 40 - 50

How many hours do you really work?~40 hr. i am probably about 90% efficient when I have work to do

For how many hours do you get paid? 40, but they say bonuses will make up for it. this year will be a test to that. i billed about 2100 and another 400 of overhead hours. if my bonus isn't substantially higher than in years past, I'll know it is bs.

How many hours you work? - 45 - 50 - NOT including the computer time on weekends, if that... then probably close to 55

How many hours do you really work? ~45, I do have some social interactions at work to break the tension... I'm not 100% focused all the time.

For how many hours do you get paid? we don't do billable hours. I am strictly salaried. My boss says his expectation is 45 hours per week. On top of that, I'm on call (with pager) 24x7. I'm on required response to plant emergencies 1 weekend every 2 months on a rotation.

How many hours you work? ~ I am typically at the office about 50 hours per week, but I answer alot of e-mails from home in the later hours of the day...so I work between 50 - 55. If you add in the teaching (3 nights per week this semester), I am at about 65.

How many hours do you really work? ~ That is a very loaded question...I probably put about a 90% effort into my day, so about 45 - 50 before teaching (I put 100% into that)

For how many hours do you get paid? ~ Salary at the office, but we do get comp time. Teaching is contracted, so I get paid by the semester hour per class.

How many hours you work? - My hours vary week to week... some weeks it is 40, some weeks it is 70; more often than not I am in the 51 - 60 range.

How many hours do you really work? Other than the time I am online here, I am working all the time. I probably make up for my down time at work (water cooler, EB.com, etc.) with all of the calls I take on my cell and checking my email from home.

For how many hours do you get paid? We are salaried, but technically my pay stub shows 40 hours a week. Most of my work is not billable anyway so it doesn't matter.

How many hours do you work? Depending on whether I am in the office or in the field, this varies, but I average 40-45 hours a week.

How many hours do you really work? I'm in the same boat with Ray on this one. I do a bit of email checking, etc from home, so I really work close to 40-45 hours oer week.

For how many hours do you get paid? I get paid for 40 hours, but accrue comp time after 48 hours worked per week.

ktulu

How many hours you work? 45 hrs

How many hours do you really work? Maybe 40, but is it really work if you are thinking of something else?

For how many hours do you get paid? 45 hrs

I would say that 90% of us fall into the "I'm insane!" category...but not because of the number of hours we put in at work.

I try to work a 42-43 hour week. I don't get paid OT or recieve comptime. I just do it because its just a little bit of effort that shows during my performance reviews.

Peter Gibbons: Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late, ah, I use the side door - that way Lumbergh can't see me, heh heh - and, uh, after that I just sorta space out for about an hour.

Bob Porter: Da-uh? Space out?

Peter Gibbons: Yeah, I just stare at my desk; but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch, too. I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

I'm not sure which one I'm supposed to pick....

I'm Gov't so normally during the week it is strictly 40 hours. Last time I was out on a project it was 13 straight 10-hour days with every other Sunday off so I was doing 65 hours a week. The standard week if/when I get deployed is 65 hours a week (10-hrs Sat thru Thur and 5-hrs on Fri) but, from what I hear, it tends to be even more than that.

How many hours do I really work? Like I said. I'm Gov't.... :dancingnaughty:

Peter Gibbons: Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late, ah, I use the side door - that way Lumbergh can't see me, heh heh - and, uh, after that I just sorta space out for about an hour.
Bob Porter: Da-uh? Space out?

Peter Gibbons: Yeah, I just stare at my desk; but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch, too. I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual work.

I was waiting for that response.

In indsutry it was about 60 hrs, but I saw the light and took a govy job, not its 40.....period! :bananapowerslide:

In indsutry it was about 60 hrs, but I saw the light and took a govy job, not its 40.....period! :bananapowerslide:
I suppose I should specify...any time I have over 40 hours is overtime which is a little odd with the Gov't. For anyone below a GS-10/Step 1 you get time-and-a-half. For people who are higher than a GS-10/Step 1 your OT is calculated as 1.5 times the hourly rate for a GS-10/Step 1. That is what my OT rate will be until the day that I move up to a GS-12/Step 6 at which point my regular hourly rate will be higher than the 1.5x GS-10 rate so my OT will be my regular hourly rate. I have no idea where they came up with that, but that's what it is.

Considering I've got a few Engineering friends in Cincy who are expected to work 50-60 hours a week but are only allowed to bill for 40, I'm not going to complain.

In addition to my regular OT, on holidays you also get 2x your hourly rate for regular hours and a 25% bonus for regular hours on Sundays. That'll be big when I'm overseas and you're working every Sunday and probably every holiday.

I suppose I should specify...any time I have over 40 hours is overtime which is a little odd with the Gov't. For anyone below a GS-10/Step 1 you get time-and-a-half. For people who are higher than a GS-10/Step 1 your OT is calculated as 1.5 times the hourly rate for a GS-10/Step 1. That is what my OT rate will be until the day that I move up to a GS-12/Step 6 at which point my regular hourly rate will be higher than the 1.5x GS-10 rate so my OT will be my regular hourly rate. I have no idea where they came up with that, but that's what it is.
Can you put this into some sort of graph or table? I have no idea what you're talking about.

Back