Ncees 2008 civil PE exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SF_century

Reaction score
Problem 502. For there cs value of 1. I believe it should be 0.8 because from the picture in the problem the eave looks uninstructed so I would use the dashed line right? (Fig 7-2). Unheated Ct=1.2.

You are correct that the roof is unobstructed, however, the roof material in the problem statement makes you use the solid line. I don't have the book in front of me, but if you read section 7.4, it states what is slippery and what is not. "Slippery surfaces shall include metal, slate, glass, and bituminous, and plastic membranes with smooth surface. Membranes with embedded aggregate or mineral granule surface shall not be considered smooth. Asphalt shingles, wood shingles, and shakes shall not be considered slippery."

Let me know if I am off somewhere or am not remembering the problem statement correctly.

You are correct that the roof is unobstructed, however, the roof material in the problem statement makes you use the solid line. I don't have the book in front of me, but if you read section 7.4, it states what is slippery and what is not. "Slippery surfaces shall include metal, slate, glass, and bituminous, and plastic membranes with smooth surface. Membranes with embedded aggregate or mineral granule surface shall not be considered smooth. Asphalt shingles, wood shingles, and shakes shall not be considered slippery."

Let me know if I am off somewhere or am not remembering the problem statement correctly.
I agree. Figure 7-2 (dashed line) says "Unobstructed Slippery Surfaces" It has to be both Unobstructed AND Slippery. If both of these are not satisfied, the solid line should be used.

Back