Illinois PE licensure question

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukee26

Reaction score
So I took and passed the Nuclear Engineering PE examination back in October 2012 before I had my 4 years of experience. It was mostly just to give myself a challenge and see if I could do it, with the added benefit of licensure later on if I managed to.

That said, Nuclear PEs are pretty much non-existent in my area of work and neither of my supervisors have been a licensed PE (nor anybody I've worked with for that matter). With neither of my supervisors in my now 3 1/2 years experience having been PEs, am I SOL in using this experience for an application of licensure? Everything I've read would seem to indicate YES, but I thought I recalled seeing some sort of exemption a couple years ago when I took the exam.

Thanks in advance.

I would recommend contacting your state board. Don't rely on a reading of your bylaws or an email. Talk to someone directly.
Yep.

Some states require experience be worked under a PE, some require various quantities of PE's as reference, some require both.

I don't know how boards handle disciplines where a PE is very rare, or non-existent. How will someone get experience working for a PE in Software Engineering, for example, where there are no PE's. It can become a chicken and egg issue.

Talk to the board, and even if they have a rule, then ask for an exception due to the lack of PE's in the discipline.

Or, try a different state.

I'm curious how comity works if you are the lead PE somewhere. You haven't worked for a PE in a while (if ever) since you ARE the PE...

i was reading through the board minutes yesterday and someone brought up issues/concerns with the states acceptance of taking the test before the experience is gained. They don't keep very detailed minutes but it sounded like it was something the board was going to discuss further.

Back