PRV experts

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodal

Reaction score
I have been asked to size a relief valve for a small HVAC system at local large chemical plant. They have had another firm doing this, but apparently they are charging more than the plant wishes to pay. My experience is in HVAC, plumbing and fire protection design. I have zero experience doing this and am a little over whelmed. I've read several publications and guides on how to size relief valves over the past few days, so I at least know a few things that I don't know at this point but I need some additional guidance. i was going to purchase ASME section VIII and API 521 but together that's about $800 in books that I'm not sure I need. I have found that several manufacturers have their own sizing programs, but I want to be able to do it myself and use them as a check. Also, the plant is requiring that several pages worth of documentation are filled out to show that I did it manually (I guess).

So far what i know I don't know is 1) how do you determine which fault case to use? 2) When is a rupture disk required?

I really would like to be able to do this competently. They have said there is the potential for alot of this work at this plant. Any help would be appreciated.

I going to post this in Shoot the breeze as well...

I think you might find what you need in ASME section VIII mandatory appendix 11 (Capacity Conversions for Safety Valves) I'm not sure about the API reference. I'm also not sure what pressure vessel you are trying to size the relief valve for. Most times, the relief valve manufacturer can point you in the right direction so that you may verify your design or develop your specification if it doesn't follow an existing specification.

Kind of a cop out answer but I'd tend to lean on those that build the actual devices and check their logic.

the mandatory appendix is good because it lets determine what you need based on variables that you should be able to calculate or obtain.

Back