Tabbing the HCM, MUTCD, Green Book, etc.....

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John QPE

Straight Outta Compton
Reaction score
So we have plenty of discussion on tabbing the CERM .... what are some key items, tables, exhibits, etc that you guys tabbed in the Transpo references?

I remember in third grade, Mrs. Higgins gave us all a dictionary. Then she would throw out a word. We were to, with one shot, try to open the dictionary as close to the word as possible. I got pretty good at it. What's my point? I'm not sure... but, anyway, I have never been a big flagger/tabber. "Become one with your books" John, and you won't need too many flags. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy Mikes am Pe exam guide, black book with purple stripe I think.

He tells you key tab points. Very very helpful, plus the book has a practice exam so overall it was easily worth the little I paid for it. He could triple the price and in my opinion it would be worth it.

Buy Mikes am Pe exam guide, black book with purple stripe I think.

He tells you key tab points. Very very helpful, plus the book has a practice exam so overall it was easily worth the little I paid for it. He could triple the price and in my opinion it would be worth it.
But Mike's is AM only and CERM tabbing only, right? JQ is asking about tabbing the PM Transpo books.

Trust me ... my CERM is TABBED!!!!

Yes, I was looking for just the key tabs in the PM depth books.

I believe fully in becoming one with the texts, but they are big texts!!! Plus all of mine are printed from PDF, so they are in huge binders which aren't as easy to thumb through like a bound book.

My theory is if I am using an equation, chart or a table to use it in the problem; I am tabbing it. I don't have my Transportation reference material on me right now but I can tell you that I have at least 10 tabs in each of the reference material and even more so in MUTCD. It never hurts to tab thats my opinion. My CERM on the other hand looks like this but bit more organized.

olympic-flags-opening-cer-001.jpg

I am predominantly going to use my School of PE material for the AM portion of the exam but I have tabbed CERM as well just in case.

The tabbing I did in the MUTCD was the most beneficial for me. I skimmed through the whole manual a week before the test and tabbed anything I figured they could ask on (like charts for cone distance, or sign distances). I quickly found every answer they asked out of the MUTCD.

Back