Hooked Up to a Sewer Interceptor

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WidowInNeed

Reaction score
While I am not an engineer, I am hopeful this post will be allowed to stay on for just a few responses. I am arm wrestling the city over a discover that my home along with other homes on my street are hooked up to a sewer interceptor line that drains a good portion of the city. The line runs down our road (a private road). When it was installed it was engineered poorly (according to the city) and the city comes out once a week to pump it. While in the city's office trying to get this straightened out the inspector said there is 'NO WAY THEY'D HOOK HOMES UP TO AN INTERCEPTOR LINE!' I was put off by how adamant he was, but he never told me why such a strong opinion. When the inspector came out and found that my brightly colored die which was dumped into my toilet pored out into the interceptor line he was troubled. He was troubled so much that he called me and tried to change the story of what we all had seen. Our homes smell bad. The toilets bubble. Do we have a risk of these 650 acres of drainage poring into our homes if the interceptor line fails? The interceptor line runs slightly up hill which in lies the problem. The city is all about covering their behinds, but I am searching and searching for some answers. Can anyone give some pointers about sewage interceptor lines?

While I am not an engineer, I am hopeful this post will be allowed to stay on for just a few responses. I am arm wrestling the city over a discover that my home along with other homes on my street are hooked up to a sewer interceptor line that drains a good portion of the city. The line runs down our road (a private road). When it was installed it was engineered poorly (according to the city) and the city comes out once a week to pump it. While in the city's office trying to get this straightened out the inspector said there is 'NO WAY THEY'D HOOK HOMES UP TO AN INTERCEPTOR LINE!' I was put off by how adamant he was, but he never told me why such a strong opinion. When the inspector came out and found that my brightly colored die which was dumped into my toilet pored out into the interceptor line he was troubled. He was troubled so much that he called me and tried to change the story of what we all had seen. Our homes smell bad. The toilets bubble. Do we have a risk of these 650 acres of drainage poring into our homes if the interceptor line fails? The interceptor line runs slightly up hill which in lies the problem. The city is all about covering their behinds, but I am searching and searching for some answers. Can anyone give some pointers about sewage interceptor lines?
If the city is pumping it, they know there is a problem. I would also guess that it was installed incorrectly as opposed to engineered poorly.

Sanitary sewer is pretty easy though. stuff flows downhill. If it is not going downhill, it will go to the lowest point and then work its way up.

If your house is the lowest point, then it could get everything above it.

Odors would be caused by sitting sewage. If it is a major problem for you tell the City that you are going to start complaing to the Environmental Protection Agency (federal) or Department of Environmental Protection or equal (state). They will get you results if the city isn't doing anything.

Back