Taking the October 2011 Exam?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Give it some time, more people will show up once the results cycle wraps up and people start to put nose to grindstone.

Have you set up a schedule yet? Got references? Started working problems?

JR

I didn't really start studying until July for the October exam. I think it's better to get an earlier start. Hopefully a few others will turn up in here for this cycle. Guaranteed, there are already a dozen or so "lurking" and just not registering or posting yet. If so, I encourage you to go ahead and post. This can be an excellent stress reliever during studying, as a place to vent, or ask questions about practice problems, references, what to expect, whatever.

I didn't really start studying until July for the October exam. I think it's better to get an earlier start. Hopefully a few others will turn up in here for this cycle. Guaranteed, there are already a dozen or so "lurking" and just not registering or posting yet. If so, I encourage you to go ahead and post. This can be an excellent stress reliever during studying, as a place to vent, or ask questions about practice problems, references, what to expect, whatever.
Actually I started studying about 2 weeks ago following the ENVRM2 chapters. Even if I skipped the “Background and Support” chapters, I still have to study around two entire chapters a week until the exam (including reading specific references and doing practice problems) and I’m starting thinking this will be hard to achieve, especially for areas I never studied before (air pollution etc.)

What do you guys think?

Right now I'm gathering my references...got the NCEES example q's and I'm working through them slowly...finding out if my references have the info needed to solve these (equations in sol'n are in my references).

Going to start going through the ENVRM2 very soon and start drilling on that. I also got the NC DVDs and plan to start watching those on the weekends with beer in hand. :)

You can do it, going through the ENVRM. Skip the math chapters and thermo - just go back to those as necessary, to brush up on skills you might fnid are lacking while you study the actual exam content. I think I spent 2-2.5 months working my way through the ENVRM and other references, as they became necessary. Then, about 3-4 weeks ahead of the exam, I took a timed practice exam, and then spent the remaining time brushing up on weaknesses.

Hi all! I am new to the Engineer Boards. I am considering signing up for the OCT 2011 exam. I have been out of school for 25 years and am very nervous about the exam. I am employed by a consulting firm doing light environmental work. I can't decide between the Civil with Water Resources and Environmental vs. Environmental designation. Does anyone know the difference between the exams. I have a Petroleum Engineering degree but never practiced Petroleum Engineering. Also, any suggestions about prep courses?

Hi all! I am new to the Engineer Boards. I am considering signing up for the OCT 2011 exam. I have been out of school for 25 years and am very nervous about the exam. I am employed by a consulting firm doing light environmental work. I can't decide between the Civil with Water Resources and Environmental vs. Environmental designation. Does anyone know the difference between the exams. I have a Petroleum Engineering degree but never practiced Petroleum Engineering. Also, any suggestions about prep courses?
Welcome, ratomast! Don't let your years out of school prevent you from taking the exam. Just give yourself enough time to get back into studying/problem solving/exam taking mode. On the Civil with Water Res and Env, you will have to take the morning general (IIRC), which includes transportation, structural, geotech, etc.

One word of caution, though, ratomast - you might be too late to register for the October exam. To take the exam, in most states anyway, you need to submit a full PE application by sometime in June. Check with your state licensing board. Otherwise, you can get an early start studying for the April 2012 exam.

I have similar qualifications, though not exactly...the first time I took the petroleum exam...the second time I took the environmental exam and got a pass. Go with what you practice in your job, and good luck!

One word of caution, though, ratomast - you might be too late to register for the October exam. To take the exam, in most states anyway, you need to submit a full PE application by sometime in June. Check with your state licensing board. Otherwise, you can get an early start studying for the April 2012 exam.
I actually just got approved to take the exam a couple of weeks ago. So that is taken care of, now the hard part.

I have similar qualifications, though not exactly...the first time I took the petroleum exam...the second time I took the environmental exam and got a pass. Go with what you practice in your job, and good luck!

^Yes. Look at the post "stickied" to the top of this forum, called "Advice on the Environmental Exam" I believe. It contains study advice and reference recommendations from several successful test-takers.

Good luck! You can definitely do it in the amount of time you have left - I did.

I too am a Petroleum Engineering Major who is an Environmental Engineer.

I almost passed the exam this last time. The hardest parts have been the Wastewater and Air. I purchased the NC State DVD course and that helped me with learning WW and Air.

It's really about studying and knowing where to find the answer. I even taught myself a few problems the last time.

My most helpful books has been the Environmental Dictionary and ENVRM. I also borrow the Civil ENVRM and Haz Materials by Granger (I think.)

I recently purchased the 4th Edition Metclaf & Eddy WW book because the NC State DVD uses that book for WW. Since I need more help with WW I decided to purchase the book.

It's been recommended to have the NIOSH pocket guide (You can print it for free), and Environmental Law.

I started studying last weekend by skimming the E-Law book. Am going to get set up with the DVDs again and start reviewing.

I am planning to take the exam in october. But I have not heard back from the board on approval. How long did it take for you to get the approval since you submitted the application?

I am planning to take the exam in october. But I have not heard back from the board on approval. How long did it take for you to get the approval since you submitted the application?

Don't register for the exam until you get your approval letter...and check with your state board. They can probably give you some sort of timeline, and they generally are pretty friendly.

Good Luck!

I'm taking the October exam too. I have read/skimmed through the ENVRM and have started working on the practice problems. Luckily my work has the NCState DVDs and are offering a prep class that started last week. I'm getting nervous about getting enough studying in before the exam!

Back