HBO may go "online" only?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
That would be fine with me!

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/article/20140916152327-62063176-netflix-is-going-to-do-to-hbo-what-netflix-did-to-blockbuster?trk=tod-home-art-list-large_0

also found this timeline funny as hell (so basically Netflix was started (sort of) because blockbuster charged a $40 late fee) LOL

All of this reminds me of what Netflix did to Blockbuster:
•In 1997 Reed Hastings walks into a Blockbuster and gets slapped with a $40 late fee for being six weeks late on returning Apollo 13.
•In 1998 he starts Netflix.
•In 2000 Netflix proposed a sale to Blockbuster and was “nearly laughed out of the office.” That same year, Blockbuster had made 16% of its revenue, $800 million dollars, from late fees. If you’re making $800 million a year off late fees, would you invest in a company that let’s you keep movies for as long as you want for free? I would just to cover my ass, but hindsight…
•In 2004 Blockbuster is at its peak. It has over 6 Billion in revenue, 9,000 stores and 60,000 employees. They decide to start an online subscription service. It’s too late, but they don’t even know it.
•In 2007 Netflix announces their one billionth DVD delivery and the fact that they are switching to VOD.
•By 2010 Netflix is valued at over a billion dollars. They’ve gone from the largest client of the USPS first class mail service to the most trafficked site at night in the US. Meanwhile, Blockbuster files chapter 11 bankruptcy with over a billion in debt.

I would say I would love to be able to watch HBO online without having to pay for full-blown satellite/cable, but I know KFox will shake his head at me because there is some little-known hacker way he's been doing for years...

I found my old Blockbuster card the other day. I couldn't remember the last time i had seen or been in one. Those days are over.

I wouldn't mind. I wonder if they would keep their current mindset of being able to share HBO Go passwords.

HBO has been running free weekends like every other month around here. Didn't realize they went all skinamax after hours.

7647a1445da03c4d995fde57aa8814cb.jpg

I could have swore we saw one this summer in Arizona..... There were some parts of Arizona we drove through that were pretty down and out..

Back