When does work experiance start for PE?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARE E

Reaction score
I graduated from a credited engineering school five years ago. I just passed my FE exam and can sit for my PE in October (if I wanted). I have worked for an engineering firm for the past 4 years. When does my 4 years of work experience start? Is it from the moment I actually have BOTH my engineering degree AND my EIT, or I can I count the past 4 years of work as part of my time?

In general, its from when you start working after graduation. But it will be up to your state board. Many states will not require you to wait 4 years after FE if you have been working for 4 years since graduation. Also different states will have different rules on partial months. Missouri would accept an application prior to having four years experience as long as you will have the four years prior to the exam (application due June 1, supplemental due once four years is obtained). Kansas would allow anyone who started work in June after college to apply after June 1 (application due June 15). So the best advice would be to call your state's board to ask for a clarification.

Back