Class photo called ‘offensive’ and ‘degrading’

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
An elementary school class picture is causing quite a stir after the photographer Photoshopped a cartoon smiley face over a boy's head.

David Claussen, owner of Broward County Pictures, took the photo of the second grade class at Sawgrass Elementary school, but was notified afterward that two of the students hadn't signed consent forms and needed to be removed.
Cartoon-character-school-picture-jpg-jpg_024714.jpg

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upshot/class-photo-called-offensive-degrading-023307967.html

if i read the article right he offered to retake it int he first place and the PTA said just put a smiley face over them (a star was also discussed)

yup. I'll bet all the second graders (including the blocked out kid) think it's pretty dang funny.

Call me a racist or conspiracy loving maniac, but with this story and the Treyvon martin story in mind, doesnt it appear that the "mass" media is pushing to get race into the picture, right? Why would they do that right now? Could it be they are trying to drum up the sympathy vote for Obama again or trying to stir up the African American community to get them to vote for one Barak Hussein Obama? Just seems a little fishy. We'll see if the stories like this one keep coming...

polarizing topics will always be brought to the front page, more so than blood. Anything that keeps people talking/yelling will bring them back to check on any potential "follow-ups". The public forgets anything that isn't constantly being volleyed through the media, so it's "15 minutes" of fame is based on the short-lived outrage. Add this to the list of things no-one will give a $#!+ about in a week...

Call me a racist or conspiracy loving maniac, but with this story and the Treyvon martin story in mind, doesnt it appear that the "mass" media is pushing to get race into the picture, right? Why would they do that right now? Could it be they are trying to drum up the sympathy vote for Obama again or trying to stir up the African American community to get them to vote for one Barak Hussein Obama? Just seems a little fishy. We'll see if the stories like this one keep coming...
I guess race would be a non-issue if both presidential candidates were African American.

Call me a racist or conspiracy loving maniac, but with this story and the Treyvon martin story in mind, doesnt it appear that the "mass" media is pushing to get race into the picture, right?
What does race have to do with this story? The smiley face fix was silly, and the kid happens to be black, but that's about it.

I just hope one day this country can get over being full of racist. ... Maybe one day we will even have a non white president.....

It'll be awhile before we have a non white president. America isn't ready for that.

Because it is a means for getting the upper hand, minorities will always use the "race card". It will never go away.

And the only reason women ever get ahead in their careers is because they sleep with their bosses. It's totally not fair to their straight male counterparts.

^No, for once I wasn't trying to play the race card.

is there really a difference between the race card and the gender card?

No, and that was my point. Anytime a woman complains of sexism or a minority complains of racism, someone from the privileged side will claim they're playing the sex card or race card. The same thing will also happen if anything goes well for a woman or minority, like getting hired or promoted. When you try to simplify complex social tensions in this way so as to minimalize their importance, no one wins.

Anyway this is off topic because no one was playing the race card in the original article except whoever came up with that silly headline.

Back