Safety Razor vs. Cartridge Razor

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt267 PE

"1000000 warning points" Club Member
Reaction score
I've been using an electric razor a few years now and it's time for a change.

I was looking at joining one of those shaving clubs like Dollar Shave Club (http://www.dollarshaveclub.com/) or Harry's (https://www.harrys.com/). But I've started reading about safety razors (or double edge razors). Does anyone have any experience shaving with a safety razor? What's the learning curve like? How does it compare to cartridge razors? How long does it take to shave?

The safety razor seems like the best price over the long run and might be worth a try. I just don't want to bleed out while I'm learning or have it take 30 minutes to shave.

I've been using the same razor for 3 months now because I'm cheap. I'm probably the best qualified person to be posting here.

Forget the safety razors, you should go straight for pro:

IMG_0588__97294.1411719849.1280.1280.jpg

See Sapper's thread here: http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=21937

I tried the dollar shave club and their razors were awful. You might as well go to Wal-Mart and buy the cheapest knockoff disposable razors you can find. Tore my face up. They are in no way equivalent to the higher end razors you get in the store.

I'd been using the three-blade Gilettes and they didn't cut or case razor burn, but they aren't the closest shave and they're expensive. For Christmas I asked for and got a cheap safety razor (Pawn Stars brand, lol). I was intimidated because I figured I'd cut a jugular or something. The first shave went ok, no major incidents. By the second shave I had pretty much got the hang of it. In fact in three months I haven't cut myself other than a couple tiny nicks, which is a lot better than I do with the cheap disposables.

The main drawback is the razor doesn't flex or give at all, so it's hard to shave on curves, especially around my chin. Because of this it takes a lot longer than a newer razor. I'd say it takes me about three times as long as with my old Gillette. Still, that's under 15 minutes. So that's the major trade off. However, it also gives a very very close shave.

And BTW, my barber uses a straight razor to trim people's necks and sideburns. Freaked me out the first couple times I went there, but he has it down. I don't have the courage to ask him to do a full face shave with it though.

I tried the dollar shave club and their razors were awful. You might as well go to Wal-Mart and buy the cheapest knockoff disposable razors you can find. Tore my face up. They are in no way equivalent to the higher end razors you get in the store.

maybe it's just your skin type? Both the hubby and I use the dollar shave club razors just fine. I see no difference between them and the "venus" razors I used to use. (I only signed on after the hubby had been using them a few months).

Ram, I don't think I should be trusted with that.

MP, a 15 min shave isn't too bad. It's been taking 20+ min with my electric because I can't get it close enough. And thanks for the link to Sap's thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been taking 20+ min with my electric because I can't get it close enough. And thanks for the link to Sap's thread.
I guess it depends on what elec. razor you are using. They are not all created equal. My Braun Series 7 gives one of the closest shaves compared to anything else. And only takes a couple minutes.

It's been taking 20+ min with my electric because I can't get it close enough. And thanks for the link to Sap's thread.
I guess it depends on what elec. razor you are using. They are not all created equal. My Braun Series 7 gives one of the closest shaves compared to anything else. And only takes a couple minutes.

That's the same razor I have. It has a new blade and everything. My beard must grow like metal wire.

I shave in the shower with my rusty blade, that way the blood drains out
aint-nobody-got-time-fo-tetanus-shots_o_900285.jpg

:) you're either one tough chick, or just f'n crazy!!

The heck with all that Matt, just give this a try. After all, it's dermatologically tested. :thumbs:

nair-hair-removal-review.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back