How to pass CA survey/seismic?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SKsoontobePE

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I just passed the 8-hour & now have the CA survey & seismic to go. I signed up for Hiner's class for seismic, but I'm needing some help in choosing study materials for the survey portion! Please help if you can. I took it the first time with just Cuomo's book & didn't pass, so I need some add'l resources.

Also, for Seismic, is there anything else you'd recommend I get in addition to Hiner's class? Ive heard some talk about code cheat sheets? Thank you!

I have a 3rd Ed copy of Chelapati's Review Manual for Survey - is this too old to be effective? I also have Jack Liu's Survey Review (3rd Ed), copyright 2000...I don't want to spend time studying from these resources if they are outdated...what's your opinion? Cuomo's book was helpful, but not enough to pass!

This is very self serving advice but I have listed all my survey study materials in the Swap Meet. I had a really tough time with survey and ended up buying and reading about everything that was recommended. It worked I passed. The cost was much less than having to retake the exam again and also gave me new material to study rather than going bonkers reading the same stuff time and again.

The advice I give everyone which some people disagree with is pick problems to skip, unless you are one of the chosen few you will not get thorugh all the problems, so why work on the really difficult ones and risk skipping easier ones??? I decided that if I looked at one of their poor diagrams and could not figure out what was going on in 30 seconds I would pass the problem. I skipped 6-7 this way, I got through the test and worked all the others and got enough correct to pass.

good luck

Back