Structural AM preparation

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biofem2011

Mom, do you use your manners?
Reaction score
I am currently reading for the structural AM of the exam and I feel like I`m reading endlessly . Can anyone tell me the chapters I should limit myself to in order to be well prepared for the AM Structural? I don`t want to waste too much time. I`m taking WRE depth.

Thank you.

:multiplespotting:

I am currently reading for the structural AM of the exam and I feel like I`m reading endlessly . Can anyone tell me the chapters I should limit myself to in order to be well prepared for the AM Structural? I don`t want to waste too much time. I`m taking WRE depth.
Thank you.

:multiplespotting:
I would not do much reading. Just do practice problems. The NCEES review books from their website are the most similar to what you will see on the exam, in my opinion. Also, look in the front of the CERM, and the author has an outline of what chapters he covers when teaching a review course. That will point you in the right direction. Most likely just brush up on your statics.

I agree that the best approach is doing practice problems, which will familiarize you with the appropriate sections of the CERM. The CERM is really the only reference you need for the AM. 6-minute solutions and NCEES sample problems are sufficient preparation for the AM section for all areas in my opinion. A couple of the NCEES sample problems were VERY similar to the actual exam problems. After doing practice problems for each section, make sure you check the NCEES exam outline just to make sure you are familiar with all areas that may appear on the exam. This approach worked for me for the April 2011 exam. I passed and felt really comfortable after the AM section, allowing me to relax for the PM. Good luck!

Back