Funny exam site stories of April 2014

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sapper PE LS

Aspiring Couch Potato
Reaction score
So, at my exam site, and this isn't exactly funny, but it'll serve to get the ball rolling. There was a poor guy who showed up for the PS exam, took the morning exam, went to lunch, and then didn't show up for the afternoon. However, I saw him sitting in the hall waiting for the state specific exam, not looking exactly chipper.

I think he fell asleep in his car and missed the afternoon. That's a bitter pill to swallow. I feel bad for the guy.

We had the fire alarm go off during our PM exam in Austin, TX. Of course nobody moved. I put in my earplugs. A firefighter would have had to tear me away with flames licking at my chair for me to have stopped.

A very nice gentlemen thought ALL material had to be in clear plastic bags. He never made into the room before his clear bag blew out. He was struggling to get his stuff in the room.

Also my moderator had a heavy accent. When she would you, " your attenion please" I laughed.

Fire alarm? That's awful!!

We had someone get picked up by the cops/security (I kid u not) for having his cellphone like 3 hours into the PM session - of all things to do!

We had one guy pull out a cell phone after the PM exam papers were picked up. The proctors pulled out his exam to invalidate it and confiscated the phone. I'd have cried if it was me!

I was in a huge warehouse-sized room with really bad HVAC problems. My table was directly underneath a blower vent, and anytime the AC kicked on my papers would start blowing all over the place and I would lose my place in the exam booklet and reference. I spent the better part of 7 hours strategically placing my calculator, elbows, ruler and hands so that I could keep working.

I was in a huge warehouse-sized room with really bad HVAC problems. My table was directly underneath a blower vent, and anytime the AC kicked on my papers would start blowing all over the place and I would lose my place in the exam booklet and reference. I spent the better part of 7 hours strategically placing my calculator, elbows, ruler and hands so that I could keep working.

That's a good one Dex. Oh, and I love your Sam Harris qoute.

We had only 3 people taking the SE exam Saturday as the FE is all on the computer now. There were more proctors than examinees! They had fun joking with us prior to reading the instructions (which was super, super serious) and then about halfway through the exam they all pulled out their knitting (they seemed to have a system worked out where one would have hawk eyes on us while the other two knitted). It was actually really pleasant testing to the super quiet "clickity click" of them. So, yeah, if you want to avoid testing issues come to Maine, 3/3 times it's been perfect. :p

I shared this in another thread but when I took the Civil/Traspo PE in Apr '11, the girl directly in front of me, who was pretty good looking, took her exam standing up, bending over the desk.

My section proctor decided that 3 hours into the AM session was a good time to trim his fingernails. Barf.

Took mine at a fire house. Last year during my FE, they got called for a fire. This year they got called while we were on lunch.

This year the guy behind me got busted for an illegal calculator before the exam started, it was an old one but apparently not one that was directly admissible.

Took mine at a fire house. Last year during my FE, they got called for a fire. This year they got called while we were on lunch.

This year the guy behind me got busted for an illegal calculator before the exam started, it was an old one but apparently not one that was directly admissible.
did the guy get booted? Or was he allowed to sit for the test without a calculator?

He

did the guy get booted? Or was he allowed to sit for the test without a calculator?
He took the morning section without a calculator and bought one at staples at halftime.

------

I also saw a guy come to the test with two fresh super clean unopened books- I would love to know how he made out.

oh that's disgusting why would you even think to yourself "i'll bring some fingernail clippers along to keep me busy" ???

there was an older guy at my test site who had built himself a wooden bookshelf on wooden wheels with a locking glass and wood cover. It was brilliant-shelves and all. I wish I'd taken a photo. Really it was a great idea and I've never seen anything like it on the market. If I had, I'd have bought it. While I was parking my car before the test I did see one very petite girl lugging a banker box down the street a good mile away from the test site, looking like she was about to snap.

there were a LOT of people at my test site but it generally went quite smoothly. The proctors were super nice and not looking for trouble.

Back