Plant Design and Operation section

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm taking the ChE PE exam at the end of October. Which books/references should I bring besides Perry's for the Plant Design and Operation section? API, ASTM, etc.? There were several questions in the sample NCEES exam questions that I missed (i.e. materials of construction) because I had no references to help answer those questions. I've asked my coworkers in the inspection group for books/references for the material of construction portion of the exam. Thankfully I'm able to borrow Perry's for the exam. The books that I kept after college do not cover certain sections of the Plant Design and Operation section.

I took Lindeburg's CheRM. That is a very good overall reference guide that if tabbed properly should get you to the appropriate equations and save you significant time. Lindeburg is not any good for Kinetics so I would take your collegiate Kinetics book. I also found the Unit Operations of Chemical Engineering by McCabe, Smith, and Harriott to be very very good for some of the less widely used unit operations equations.

I didn't find Perry's too useful for the exam. It's rather large and cumbersome to find anything quickly.

I took Lindeburg's CheRM. That is a very good overall reference guide that if tabbed properly should get you to the appropriate equations and save you significant time. Lindeburg is not any good for Kinetics so I would take your collegiate Kinetics book. I also found the Unit Operations of Chemical Engineering by McCabe, Smith, and Harriott to be very very good for some of the less widely used unit operations equations.
I am using CheRM, Unit Operations of Chemical Engineering by McCabe, Smith, and Harriott, and other books I have from school. I was just specifically asking about the Plant Design and Operation section.

I know you are asking about a particular section but I used ChERM 98% of the time and I passed first try. I really only looked in the others when I was totally stumped. Other than the tinnie tiny kinetics section, which btw did have the kinetic information needed for me when I took the test, the ChERM is a great book for all sections of the Chemical test. I only had it and some college texts and perrys.

They provide a lot of the information needed in the problem statements...too much information which was annoying sometimes.

Back