How can I know if someone is using my license?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pekyle

Reaction score
If someone use my license number, How can i find out?

I lost my stamp couple month ago, I am little worry about if someone pick it up and use it.

Did you report it to the board?
What would the board do?
Probably the board can create a new lic. number for him and they can put a note saying that the old lic number is voided from the date he thinks he missed till the new date of the new number...that way in court if something happen its been reported that it was stolen if the drawings were stamp between those days...i dont know that me thinking what they can do.

Probably the board can create a new lic. number for him and they can put a note saying that the old lic number is voided from the date he thinks he missed till the new date of the new number...that way in court if something happen its been reported that it was stolen if the drawings were stamp between those days...i dont know that me thinking what they can do.
That's silly given the fact that *ANYONE* can make a stamp that looks just like mine. That's why you have to SIGN your stamped material.

I would report the stamp missing to the board. It costs nothing and may be of benefit if indeed someone tried to forge the signature of the license holder. I would report the loss through registered mail so that you have a copy of the documentation in your files. This may seem silly, however, the cost of reporting and documenting the report through registered mail is small compared to what might happen if the stamp was used inappropriately.

The next question that needs to be asked is how did the stamp get lost? We require all of our staff to maintain their stamps under lock and key. Of course, we are not a firm that stamps plans and drawings each and every day-- there is some logistics challenge to our way of doing it, however, at least we maintain positive control registered resources. Again, may seem like a stupid way of maintaining control of classified items, however, it does work for us.

I would report the stamp missing to the board. It costs nothing and may be of benefit if indeed someone tried to forge the signature of the license holder.
If someone wants to call their board and ask them what needs to be done in a case like this, I'd be interested in knowing their response.

Again, may seem like a stupid way of maintaining control of classified items, however, it does work for us.
Classified items? You can't be serious! It's not like you can launch nuclear weapons with your stamp...

When I ordered my stamp, I simply gave them my name and Lic #. No proof at all was needed. Anyone can order a stamp with any name / Lic # combo at any time. I don't see how losing your stamp increases your risk.

Anyone can order a stamp with any name / Lic # combo at any time. I don't see how losing your stamp increases your risk.
I'd love to see one of these guys work out the probability chain for occurence by 1) a lost stamp being used inappropriately and 2) someone intentionally using their name by having a stamp made. I wonder if they know that names and license numbers are a matter of public record?

Last edited by a moderator:
I turned an engineer in one time. Name on the stamp (valid license number and name) was John Smith, and the signature looked like Aloysius Greenwald (I'm making the names up, but it was really about that much difference.

Investigation by the board revealed his stamp had been taken and used by someone else. Guy called me up and thanked me. The guy using the stamp got a hefty fine and was fired, IIRC.

In my company that when you stamp a drawing using your PE license stamp that you also required to sign on top of it. I think no one is going to use your stamp if they also need to sign on it.

When I ordered my stamp, I simply gave them my name and Lic #. No proof at all was needed. Anyone can order a stamp with any name / Lic # combo at any time. I don't see how losing your stamp increases your risk.
I think you also need to enter your SS number so the engineering seal.com can verify with the state board to prove you really an register engineer in their state.

I think you also need to enter your SS number so the engineering seal.com can verify with the state board to prove you really an register engineer in their state.
That is incorrect. I did not provide my SSN to engineerseals.com when I ordered my stamp. Since it is public record, all they have to do is verify the appropriate name with the corresponding number on the state board's website. I would not order from an outfit that required my SSN.

That is incorrect. I did not provide my SSN to engineerseals.com when I ordered my stamp. Since it is public record, all they have to do is verify the appropriate name with the corresponding number on the state board's website. I would not order from an outfit that required my SSN.
I didn't need to provide evidence that I had a license or my SSN. Only my name, state of issue and license number. Your signature is required in my state to go across your seal and that is the additional bit of information that makes your seal unique.

No sir.

Back