Hawaii: Need help with qualifying experience

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HI_ee

Reaction score
Engineers

I am an Electrical Engineer and want to apply to take my PE. I have my FE and have been working for my company that works with the DoD for the past 6 years. The problem I am having is that there are no PE EE in the company that can sign off on my experience, the reason is because the industry doesnt require the company to have a PE on staff. I spoke to the board and they said I need to write a letter for their approval but my chances are slim. So now I am stuck and dont know what to do...any advice? How to convince them I should be able to take the exam?

Thanks

In my opinion, a lot of the "work under a PE" and "get a PE to endorse you" are well suited to most Civil engineers, and if you look at the numbers, Civil seems to represent about 3/4 or more of the PE exam takers and PEs.

The problem is that in a lot of PE areas, like Agricultural, Chemical, Compuer, Metallurgical, Petroleum, and even Electrical have very little need of the PE "License" rather the PE is a credential.

In Software Engineering, I don't see how anyone can ever get one since nobody has one to work for/under to get a reference. Chicken/egg problem.

Write the letter and see if they'll exempt you due to the lack of EE PEs.

Or, go to one of the states that doesn't require it, but you'll still have an issue of comity.

So in Texas, the experience review can be by someone who is a PE who doesn't work with you...so you could ask someone outside your firm to do the review and recommendation...I would check to see if they would allow this.

Back