What do you do?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well... I guess this is what I get for using the "view new posts" feature... sucked into polls which don't apply to me beacuse of my dicipline...

I actually do land development, construction and transportation. I limited my vote to the one I seem to do more of.

Structural engineer for an EPC firm with oil and gas clients. I make piperacks and t-posts and have to deal with my spazz of an office buddy...

And I think Tom McKeon is awesome!

Unemployed, outta school 4 mo., 2nd degree (1st degree was 19 yrs ago). Experience falls under environmental, transportation, land development, surveying; for private consultant & county employers; taking FE this Oct: passed FS last April; should work ever come my way PS / PE to follow.

T McK rules!

Rampant discrimination against mechies!!!
Says the mechie trolling the Civil Engineering thread :rolleyes: :beerchug:

:banhim: :banhim: :banhim: JR
T McK is God's response to the sinful nature of EB and all of its members! God cannot abide these sinful engineers for very long! - :holyness: REPENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :holyness:

did i sound like him? just a little maybe. . .

Fire Protection here. Is that Civil?

The only program I found in my state grants Engineering Technology degrees instead of the 'standard' engineering degree so I switched to Civil. I've two or more years left in the program and I don't think I'll return to get any more degrees. :burgerking:

That's what I do, too. It was covered in the MERM, so I'm guessing Mechie.

I've been told I can sit for the Fire Protection PE exam after graduation + requisite experience. Looking over the summary I know most of the material or at least am familiar with it.

Does that sound right?

I don't know if one could say, graduate in Mechanical and sit for a Civil exam or vice versa?

Fire Protection here. Is that Civil?
The only program I found in my state grants Engineering Technology degrees instead of the 'standard' engineering degree so I switched to Civil. I've two or more years left in the program and I don't think I'll return to get any more degrees. :burgerking:
You can be "other" :-D I have no idea where that fits. Lucky for you, you'll probably always be an other in these types of surveys...

And you can take whatever PE you want, you just have to have the experience to back it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been told I can sit for the Fire Protection PE exam after graduation + requisite experience. Looking over the summary I know most of the material or at least am familiar with it.
Does that sound right?

I don't know if one could say, graduate in Mechanical and sit for a Civil exam or vice versa?
Sorry I missed this.

In my neck of the woods, the only people who get the Fire Protection PE are the ones doing federal work. I guess there are some who take it just to have the FP PE, but mech or civvie PE's can work on fire protection systems if they are competant in the area.

Back