April 2012 Structural PM

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajosh

Reaction score
Hello,

i am going to start my preparation for April 2012 Civil PE/Structural PM. I have been reading the posts for some time now , but it seems like more i read more confusing it gets.

So looking for some specific answers.

1) CERM 12 for morining session is enough?

2) Structural reference manual and listed codes enough? I am thinking that i will still need to reference textbooks for structural analysis portion? Any good reference text books you can recommend?

3) Hiner book for sceicmic enough or i should take review class? I am in Sacramento area?

4) What book i need for Surveying?

It seems like i need to cover a lot ? Need some clear direction in regards to preparation strategy.

Thank you,

Ajosh

I would get the 6 minute solutions for ALL topics of Civil. If you go through all of the breadth problems in those, you should be well prepared. The cost is little compared to the reward of passing.

codes you need for PM Struct

AASHTO

ACI 318

PCI/PCA

ASIC 13th

AWS

or check ncees website.

I respectfully disagree with McE ^^ My philosophy is - don't study a single topic you don't have to. The 6 min solutions for the other 4 depth modules you won't be taking will cover material you won't be tested on. Download the NCEES syllabus and study only those topics.

To answer (some of) your questions:

1.) Yes

2.) I can't comment. I chose Transpo depth

3.) It's up to you. Yes, the Hiner book is enough (along with CBC/IBC and ASCE 7). Especially since you are a Structures guy. But, if you think a class would help, go for it. I attempted the Seismic on my own with no class. I think I passed but won't know for sure until January '12

4.) I passed the Survey with just the typical PPI books. Surveying Principles, 120 Probs and Sample Exams

Good luck!

Mc Engrs recommendation is overkill, the 6 mins are good for PM sections, teh AM Civil can done by CERM

I believe the CERM has poor examples. The environmental problems in the CERM are not good enough to get those answers correct. I told him to study the broad-based problems in those. Of course, I did overstudy by reviewing all of those, but I had little doubt that I passed when I left the exam in 2006.

To each his/her own, but I have a philosophy of studying to ace the exam, not just barely scrape by.

Back