Civil: Water Resources/Environmental vs. Environmental only

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcsurfer2

Reaction score
I took the Civil: Water Resources/Environmental (WRE) PE test April 2014 and just found out that I did not pass. I was wondering if anyone knew if the Environmental only PE test would be easier than the WRE test. I have a degree in Civil but I work as an Environmental Engineer. I work primarily on remediation projects for contaminated petroleum and chlorinated solvent sites. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

First, "easier" is only relative to the person taking the exam. Don't get caught up in all the chatter about which exam is easier, the other exams are always easier than the one you took.

I suggest taking a couple of weeks to be pissed off, clear your head and then get ready to hit the books again.

When you're ready, buy the NCEES Practice Problems & Solutions for Environmental ($40) and solve the depth questions as a practice test, allotting only 6 minutes per question. If you smoke your practice test, switch exams. If you bomb it, stick with WR&E. If you do about the same as the WR&E, flip a coin. In any case you will know what may have been and will not waste any more of your time thinking about "I wonder if ..." You have until July 7th to submit your refile application. This should be plenty of time to get a better idea of where your last exam went wrong and the areas needing more focus.

Once you decide on which exam to take, stay fully committed to your choice and keep your eye on the prize. Good luck.

I don't know for sure but I would suspect a Civil PE license is more valuable than an Environmental PE license. I am only speculating (so make sure you double check with your state) but I would guess a licensed Civil has the authority to do everything a licensed Environmental can do but not vice versa. ?

Ptatohed has an excellent point.

Figure out what you are going or want to do with your license before you think about switching exams. It might be better to gut it out with the WR&E and have more options available. Since you are working as an Environmental Engineer now, ask around at your work or your contacts and see what they are using. They may be able tell you the pros and cons of each.

First, "easier" is only relative to the person taking the exam. Don't get caught up in all the chatter about which exam is easier, the other exams are always easier than the one you took.

I suggest taking a couple of weeks to be pissed off, clear your head and then get ready to hit the books again.

When you're ready, buy the NCEES Practice Problems & Solutions for Environmental ($40) and solve the depth questions as a practice test, allotting only 6 minutes per question. If you smoke your practice test, switch exams. If you bomb it, stick with WR&E. If you do about the same as the WR&E, flip a coin. In any case you will know what may have been and will not waste any more of your time thinking about "I wonder if ..." You have until July 7th to submit your refile application. This should be plenty of time to get a better idea of where your last exam went wrong and the areas needing more focus.

Once you decide on which exam to take, stay fully committed to your choice and keep your eye on the prize. Good luck.

rc10gt nailed it. I was in the same boat last year so I know exactly where you're coming from. My professors in college said only take the environmental if you are "very good" in environmental engineering. After I got the bad news I signed up to take the School of PE's prep class and bought a half dozen study guides and worked every problem. I had so many problems to work that I was forced to understand the concepts of each topic. That makes the exam much easier and you will pass WR/Env your next try. Don't memorize the problems so that you can regurgitate the solutions. Once you understand the concepts you'll kill the NCEES practice exams. I would suggest purchasing a copy of the 2008 & 2011 version and work through both after you get over your pissed off period. Make notes of which problems you got right and which you got wrong. Retake those exams again about a month before you retake the real exam. You should see a big difference in your score. Use this board to help figure out what to study. I found it to be an invaluable resource.

I am sorry to read you did not pass. Do not give up!

I concur with everything said above. One thing I would add to consider taking a PE review course. I will help you focus on the high probability topics. Their pass rates are high for numerous reasons laid out by myself and numerous other posts/authors. If you dedicate yourself and stick to a rigid schedule, you will improve you chances off passing tremendously.

Thank you for all of your input. I live in Florida and don't plan on moving so either one will be fine for whatever I do. I worked a ton of problems and took the review classes. I guess I just didn't work enough problems. I am still undecided but I will have it figured out soon. Thanks again.

I took a review course (WRE was my depth topic) and still found the afternoon tough, but luckily I passed. IMO no matter which subject you choose, the morning is key to passing. Who knows whats going to come up in the afternoon, It could be anything and everything and the depth is designed to greatly test you. if you nail the morning (35+), it means you will have a bigger cushion heading into the afternoon.

I took a review course (WRE was my depth topic) and still found the afternoon tough, but luckily I passed. IMO no matter which subject you choose, the morning is key to passing. Who knows whats going to come up in the afternoon, It could be anything and everything and the depth is designed to greatly test you. if you nail the morning (35+), it means you will have a bigger cushion heading into the afternoon.
I'm positive that this is why I passed. I felt like I finished the morning session having gotten at least 37 correct. I finished with an hour to spare and went back and reviewed my answers and handed in with over 30 minutes left

Back