HVAC Design Sources

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowerStroke79_PE

Reaction score
Hi, i wanted to ask for some help. I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction for HVAC design sources. I am a civil engineer, graduated 2011, and need some help on an HVAC approach. We own a small restaurant that currently has an HVAC unit for the dining area and NOT for the kitchen area. A few sources have exposed the idea that a kitchen really shouldnt have an AC unit. But, what about air control? There must be something I can do that doesn't break the bank. I am in south TX and we are about to get into the high temperatures again and I don't want it to be how it has been the last two years. Our workers could benefit of some air movement. If you all have any books or sites you can recommend that present some ideas it would really help.

Thanks in advance!

Hemi79

Have you contacted a local dealer? Usually the sales guys can easily figure out what you need. Restaurants typically use packaged (unitary) equipment that isn't very expensive and is simple to install. I'd contact some local HVAC dealers/installers and see what they can do for you.

i have been planning a lot, and I am going to try an Evaporative Cooler. the kitchen is about 400 sq. ft, requiring about 2000 CFM (if the CFM doesn't match my Area, then Im off on my square feet) so I will add a 2500 CFM Evaporative cooler at one end of the room, and 2 1200 CFM exhaust fans at the other end of the room on its roof. Its about a 1200 dollar investment so I hope it works. If it doesn't then I cant go to Vegas the 4th of July...... unless I start walking in that direction now. :)

How did this end up for you? I would think that the evaporative (Swamp) cooler idea wouldn't work in Texas due to humidity.

Just curious

Mike

Its been a while, sorry i didnt see reply. I got it installed by mysekf as nobody would give me service for an evaporative cooler. Set it on the roof and did my own aluminum duct work to distrubute airfliw as best i could. It worked ok for a while but months later we simply installed a mini split and a better hood system. It nkw just sits there and occasionally gets turned on until the loud fan has strained our voices.

Back