Help! Study books for PE Civil-transpo

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbahotep

Reaction score
Hello,

Can anybody provide a list of books that would be good to study off of for the PE Civil. This includes the entire exam including the second day portion. I am taking transportation for the afternoon section. So far I have the following.

1. NCEES practice exam

2.2009 Civil Engineering All-In-One PE Exam Guide: Breadth and Depth McGraw-Hill Professional Indranil Goswami

3. CERM 10th edition

if anybody can add on to the list i would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Hello,

Can anybody provide a list of books that would be good to study off of for the PE Civil. This includes the entire exam including the second day portion. I am taking transportation for the afternoon section. So far I have the following.

1. NCEES practice exam

2.2009 Civil Engineering All-In-One PE Exam Guide: Breadth and Depth McGraw-Hill Professional Indranil Goswami

3. CERM 10th edition

if anybody can add on to the list i would really appreciate it. Thanks!

1.) Hi bubba. Welcome.

2.) Calm down. Need for the exclamation mark. ;)

3.) Your question has been asked (and answered) countless times. In fact, there is a sticky at the top of this very subforum: http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=8251 Hopefully that will help.

4.) Please clarify what you mean by "the entire exam including the second day portion". The PE Fed 8 hour (Transpo module) exam is only a one day exam. Perhaps you mean the State specific CA Survey/Seismic exams? But that's separate from the Civil Transpo Depth exam, so please clarify.

5.) The books you have are a very good start. If money isn't a significant issue for you, consider getting the latest (12th ed) CERM. Otherwise, you can still pass with your 10th.

6.) Make sure you go to the NCEES website and download the PDF exam syllabus with exam standards. Primarily, the standards you'll need are the AASHTO GDHS and HCM. Obtain the others, as possible.

7.) Obtain some practice problems too (Lindegburg, Goswami, 6 min solutions, etc.)

8.) Good luck. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Uh, you're welcome? :p

Note to self: Do not leave any more responses that take more than 3 minutes to type for anyone with 1 post count.

that list looks good for morning except none of them cover enough Construction portion. I would definitely suggest adding some notes/material for construction. For afternoon you definitely need much more to get you through.

You cannot do the transpo without all the reference books. There's no way any book will have exactly the right info from the HCM, AASHTO, MUTCD, etc etc.

If you are taking all the exams, great - studying for survey will help you answer a few problems in the transpo afternoon.

I brought most of the references on the list from NCEES and I think I used the concrete book, HCM, AASHTO, MUTCD.

If you don't want to get all the references together (it's a pain) then pick a different afternoon section.

You cannot do the transpo without all the reference books. There's no way any book will have exactly the right info from the HCM, AASHTO, MUTCD, etc etc.

If you are taking all the exams, great - studying for survey will help you answer a few problems in the transpo afternoon.

I brought most of the references on the list from NCEES and I think I used the concrete book, HCM, AASHTO, MUTCD.

If you don't want to get all the references together (it's a pain) then pick a different afternoon section.

I passed without having all the references listed on the NCEES syllabus. They list, what? 8? I had 4 (HCM, AASHTO green, AASHTO RDG, MUTCD).

http://www.ncees.org/Documents/Public/Exam%20specifications/PE%20Civil/PE%20Civil%20Trans%20Apr%202010_with%201104%20design%20standards.pdf

Make sure you have all the listed references from NCEES, including all updates (especially the RDG) The ones you could possibly get away with not having would be the Asphalt Book, PCA book, and perhaps the ITE book, however there is likely to be at least one question on the test from each of those references. Regarding studying, if you can do all 100 problems in the six minute solutions and get 70-75% correct, the test will be a breeze (at least the afternoon segment). If you have the CERM, are familiar with it, and tab it well, you'll do fine on the morning section. It would be a good idea to print off and bind a copy of the CERM's index from online at PPI, but you may find this to be counter-productive as the page numbers do change between editions, and I believe the 12th edition is current. Good Luck!

Back