When/how to ask for a raise after getting the good news of passing the PE exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lundy

Reaction score
So my performance review isn't until late October but if I get my license before then should I ask for a raise before my review?

Technically speaking a good employer will automatically increase your pay or informed you about it. They should also written in handbook

That's my take on it

Technically speaking a good employer will automatically increase your pay or informed you about it. They should also written in handbook

That's my take on it
Respectfully disagree with this. It really depends on the industry you work in and if the PE license will even benefit your employer. When I worked in manufacturing, a PE wasn't required nor what is it used to seal any designs. So by me obtaining my PE license, my job responsibilities and benefit to the company had not changed at all. So I wasn't expecting them to automatically give me a pay increase.

That's my take on it
Respectfully disagree with this. It really depends on the industry you work in and if the PE license will even benefit your employer. When I worked in manufacturing, a PE wasn't required nor what is it used to seal any designs. So by me obtaining my PE license, my job responsibilities and benefit to the company had not changed at all. So I wasn't expecting them to automatically give me a pay increase.
Yes then in that case, maybe a change of career?

Certain industry does not required PE

That's my take on it
Yes then in that case, maybe a change of career?

Certain industry does not required PE
In my company, it is expected that all engineers get licenced hence raises are not automatically given. They pay for the exam, a class, fees, stamp and tolken bonus. We are required to stamp drawings so the PE is necessary.

The PE seems to be the great emancipator of low starting salaries. If you are below EIT market rate get another job. Market rate around 55-65. The PE should bump you up to 70-85. This is for civil engineering.

The only foolproof way is to apply to jobs see what lands and negotiate a nice salary.

Public agencies do not have any raises based on getting a PE.

The PE seems to be the great emancipator of low starting salaries. If you are below EIT market rate get another job. Market rate around 55-65. The PE should bump you up to 70-85. This is for civil engineering.

The only foolproof way is to apply to jobs see what lands and negotiate a nice salary.

Public agencies do not have any raises based on getting a PE.
I made well over your listed market rate with my EIT. My PE results are pending right now (8-hour passed, seismic and survey results TBD) and I am well over your listed market rate for PE. Also, I know of 3 public works agencies off the top my head that give you a 5% bump for having a PE, regardless of title. Since I also spec out cost estimates for project bids, I also know the rates of my coworkers, and I would say 70% ish are above those listed rates as well.

What public agencies do you know that give an automatic 5% salary bump for having a PE?

Hi Ramnares,

City of Laguna Beach I've heard direct from their HR department, and City of Long Beach and City of Oxnard by word of mouth. I'm sure there are others.

I would imagine where you live would make a big difference too. Cost of living in California is much higher than say, Pennsylvania...

Speaking as a GS DoD employee, the PE opens up doors to the higher grades. The AF and Navy in particular view the certification as a huge asset especially for the civil, mechanical, and environmental field which support their respective public works departments. Navy it's NAVFAC and AF it's Civil Engineering.

There's no guarantee of a raise but if the certification along with a Master's and willingness to move will allow you to qualify for those GS 14/15 and SES positions. I think with the Navy the PE is required for GS 13 positions as well

Unwillingness to move has definitely hurt me with respect to those jobs Blue ^

I would imagine where you live would make a big difference too. Cost of living in California is much higher than say, Pennsylvania...

While our goods and services are on par, our housing market is way out of control. A 700k+ house is going to be required to get in a neighborhood with halfway decent schools, and my California paycheck does not come close to making up that difference. At the end of the day I get the sense that cost of living has little to do with salaries in our field. At least on average. I can bill my standard hourly rate to clients locally and in other states, including those states with lower costs of living. If I moved to those States my salary shouldn't change much unless the company I was with was trying to rake a larger EBIT off me because they thought they could get away with it. Maybe it's time for a move???

Whether or not typical CA salaries can cover the housing market there, the housing market does figure into a higher overall cost of living, which is reflected (if perhaps not "enough") in wages there. We have engineers in CA and CO, and we end up paying the CA engineers more to attract the right candidates. Everyone gets billed out the same.

As you speculated, those employees just happen to net a lower percentage profit for the company. Salary does not always come out cleanly to (Money made for Company X)/3.

Back