Reference Material needed for the Water Resources/Environmental Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What reference materials should I plan on bringing to the exam?

I have:

CERM

CERM problems manual

All-in-One by Goswami

A dictionary

I plan on having only 1 milk crate full of books.

Is it really necessary to have the Metcalf and Eddy wastewater 4th Ed that many our talking about or can I use another reference?

These are the only books I used to pass the general and Water resources exams:

CERM

Applied Hydrology - Chow

Hydraulics textbook

Geotech textbook

Surveying textbook

Environmental Engineering textbook

6 minute solutions - water resources

NCEES practice problems

When i took the exam, people were walking in with dolley's of books; I felt "out gunned" at first. The fact is if you know your stuff you dont need all of those books; you dont have time to look through all of them anyway. Just take books that you know and you are comfortable with.

Last edited by a moderator:
The books I took to pass the AM and WR:

*CERM

All in One

*Metcalf & Eddy (I personally didn't want to take it and didn't think I'd use it, but I did. If you can get your hands on a copy for free, definitely do it)

Hydraulics Textbook

*6 min. solutions - Env.

NCEES practice problems

Sample exams #1 and #2 from pe-exam.org

*Hydrogeology Textbook

*Water Resources PM reference manual PPI just put out

* = used in the PM section.

I took a box of materials with me. The main book you need is the CERM, plus it's index bound separately; part of me wants to say that the CERM is all you need but I did find critical information in other resources throughout the exam. I also had 5 binders with me that were full of example problems that I had neatly worked out myself. One for each morning category, Construction, Geotech, Strucutures, Transportation and Water. These binders helped me recall how to do things step-by-step.

It's been a while, but the only thing I used in the morning was the CERM. I used two milk crates. They stack nicely and you basically have a little bookshelf next to you when you take the exam. I went through the NCEES sample exam more times than I care to think about, but anything I used while doing sample problems went on the top shelf. All the other references went on the bottom shelf as a "just in case" that were basically just used for taking a stab at problems I hadn't solved on the first run through. BTW, not sure what dictionary you're taking but mine was a bottom shelfer. If I couldn't find a definition in the CERM, then it wasn't in the dictionary.

As a reply to my own topic, this is what I brought into the exam with me:

What I used

CERM 11th Edition

All-in-One by Goswami

All-in-One practice Problems by Goswami

A separate 3-ring binder with CERM Index and Appendices and Goswami Index and Environmental Glossary

Six Minute solutions for WR&E

Metcalf and Eddy 3rd edition

School of PE Class Notes for all five disciplines

What I didn't use

CERM problems manual

Water Resources and Environmental Depth manual (useless waste of time and money)

TR-55

Except for a good Hydraulics and Hydrology textbook, which I left in my car, there really is no need to have anything more than what I have listed. The School of PE is Highly recommended by me as they trim the fat and focus on what will be on the test. I studied a total of 200 hours this time around and had about 100 on the first try. Knowinf the CERM intimately is key and doing alot of questions. One other thing that helped was having a study partner. We pushed each other and that is why we both passed the April 2012 exam.

Introduction to Environmental Engineering by Davis and Cornwell was invaluable. So many look up questions were found in there. PPI water resources depth manual was great for studying, but I didnt open it to often during the exam. Metcalf and Eddy was useless because I never cracked it before the exam. I got mine for $12 on Amazon though, so no big deal. I personally thought most questions in the afternoon did not require a reference. I feel like the afternoon was an exam on how well you could convert units. YOU MUST KNOW: lb/d = mg/l * MGD *8.34. The review course I took was the first place I saw this and they harped on it a lot.

Also, make your own binder to take into the exam with appendicies and frequently used equations. You dont want to have to loo kup Darcy Weisbach every time you need it.

Here are my references I used to pass my first try:

• CERM (mainly as a backup to lookup information I wasn't too clear on)
  • All in one - Goswami (Mainly used this book for the bulk of my studies)
  • Hydrology and Floodplain analysis - Bedient (I feel that both books above do not cover hydrology all too well)
  • Metcalf & Eddy Wastewater (I flipped through this book here for terminology and definitions during the test)
  • 2008 and 2011 NCEES problems (I feel were the best representative problems to work on)
  • 6-Minute Solutions (Worked through them once but it was a real pain; I regret spending so much time working these out. Problems were too theoretical but I can't say that I haven't learned anything by working through these)

To note: I took wastewater, solid waste, groundwater contamination, and other environmental courses for my bachlores degree (Civil-Environmental). I feel that the review books I listed were good for the water resources portion of the exam, but I had to heavily rely on some of my past studies for the environmental portion.

Anyways. Best of luck to you all.

I noticed on ppi2pass, the Civil PE Water Resources & Environmental Package (CWREP3) includes Recommended Standards for Wastewater Facilities (RSSW8), is that book necessary to bring? Thanks.

Taking PE in October 2012. I already have CERM. Based on everyone feedback, I'm going to buy/borrow the following:

1. Six-Minute Solutions for Civil PE Exam Water Resources and Environmental Problems
  2. NCEES PE Civil: Water Resources and Environmental Sample Questions & Solutions
  3. All-in-One by Goswami
  4. All-in-One practice Problems by Goswami
  5. Metcalf & Eddy Wastewater
  6. School of PE Class Notes for all five disciplines
  7. Introduction to Environmental Engineering

Zhongguo, now that you've taken the exam and hopefully have your results, can you comment on how the above listed publications served you on the exam. Most useful? Least useful? Which ones you wish you would have spent more time getting familiar with. Which ones you spent too much time with. Etc… Thanks

I passed the 8-hour last April in the first try. Here are the references I used:

• CERM
  • All in one - Goswami
  • Metcalf & Eddy Wastewater (useful during the test for some questions)
  • 2008 and 2011 NCEES problems (I feel were the best representative problems to work on)
  • 6-Minute Solutions (not really representative of the questions on the exam, so dont spend too much time on it)
  • Introduction to Environmental Engineering (Cornwell) (one of the most useful books during the test)
Good luck everyone!

Passed 1st try in October. I brought way more textbooks than I actually used during the exam.

- CERM12 & All-in-1 (All I used during the morning)

- Water Resources Engineering by Chin (helped with some definitions and explanations)

- Environmental Engineering by Davis & Cornwell (used for some environmental and waste water definitions)

- Equation notebook I prepared

In the afternoon I used the CERM 90% of the time. While the CERM covers closed conduit, open channel, and hydrology adequately there are probably some easily lost points if you don't bring a decent environmental and water/ww treatment reference.

References I brought but never opened: Wastewater Engineering (Metcalf & Eddy), a hydrology book, a soil mechanics book, FE supplied handbook, an engineering/science dictionary, and practice exams/problems solutions.

I took the exam this April and didn't pass. I had all five of the School of PE notebooks, Davis & Cornwell Introduction to Environmental Engineering, and CERM. There were many qualitative questions that I wasn't able to answer because none of the references I had seemed to have the answers they were looking for. Based on what everyone on this thread has used and recommended I now have:

• CERM (13th Edition)
  • Water Resources by Chin
  • Introduction to Environmental Engineering by Davis & Cornwell
  • Goswami All-in-One Exam Guide, 2nd Edition
  • Goswami All-in-One Practice Problems
  • NCEES PE Civil: Water Resources and Environmental Sample Questions & Solutions
  • Six-Minute Solutions for Civil PE Exam Water Resources and Environmental Problems
  • Metcalf & Eddy Wastewater
  • School of PE's notebooks (for all five disciplines)
Amazon has some of these books on their website and they sometimes give you a glimpse of the index. Check out the indexes before you buy and make sure that these books will work for you. eBay and some of the sellers on Amazon tend to sell some of these books dirt cheap and there is a reason for that; they are an international version. The international versions seem to be written in English but usually don't look like the book you ordered and the quality is pretty low. So if you plan to use it a lot you might want to spend a little extra $$$ and get the real thing, otherwise by exam time your book will be duct taped together.

I took the exam this April and didn't pass. I had all five of the School of PE notebooks, Davis & Cornwell Introduction to Environmental Engineering, and CERM. There were many qualitative questions that I wasn't able to answer because none of the references I had seemed to have the answers they were looking for. Based on what everyone on this thread has used and recommended I now have:

• CERM (13th Edition)
  • Water Resources by Chin
  • NCEES PE Civil: Water Resources and Environmental Sample Questions & Solutions
  • Six-Minute Solutions for Civil PE Exam Water Resources and Environmental Problems
Amazon has some of these books on their website and they sometimes give you a glimpse of the index. Check out the indexes before you buy and make sure that these books will work for you. eBay and some of the sellers on Amazon tend to sell some of these books dirt cheap and there is a reason for that; they are an international version. The international versions seem to be written in English but usually don't look like the book you ordered and the quality is pretty low. So if you plan to use it a lot you might want to spend a little extra $$$ and get the real thing, otherwise by exam time your book will be duct taped together.

Correction; I now have the following references:

• CERM (13th Edition)
  • *Water Resources Engineering by Linsley, Franzini, Freyberg, & Tchobanoglous*
  • *Hydrology and Floodplain Analysis by Bedient*
Earlier this week I started going through my new copy of Water Resources by Chin and everything in that book was in SI units. There were no US units whatsoever. I sent it back and exchanged it for Water Resources Engineering by Linsley, Franzini, Freyberg, & Tchobanoglous. Like many other Water Resources textbooks I felt that it was pretty light on the hydrology side so I picked up a copy of Hydrology and Floodplain Analysis by Bedient. Both books seem to be very well written and seem to be helping with some of the Six Minute Solution problems.

The exam results are in and I passed 2nd try. I wanted to share which references I used to study for the exam.

AM Exam

CERM 13th Edition (http://ppi2pass.com/civil-engineering-reference-manual-for-the-pe-exam-cerm13.html)

All-In-One PE Exam Guide: Breadth and Depth 2nd Edition by Goswami (http://www.amazon.com/Civil-Engineering-All-In-One-Exam-Guide/dp/0071787720/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401203637&sr=8-1&keywords=all+in+one+goswami)

All-In-One Civil Engineering PE Practice Exams: Breadth and Depth by Goswami (http://www.amazon.com/Civil-Engineering-PE-Practice-Exams/dp/0071777113/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y)

School of PE notes

Mike's PE Guide (http://www.amazon.com/Mikes-Civil-PE-Exam-Guide/dp/1453716343/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401203736&sr=1-1&keywords=mikes+civil+pe)

Pass the Civil PE (http://www.amazon.com/Pass-Civil-Professional-Engineering-Guide/dp/1621419452/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401203770&sr=1-1&keywords=pass+the+civil+pe)

PE-Exam.com (http://ppi2pass.com/breadth-practice-exam-for-the-civil-pe-bpxc.html)

NCEES PE Civil Sample Questions and Solutions (http://www.amazon.com/PE-Civil-Sample-Questions-Solutions/dp/1932613315/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401203802&sr=1-10&keywords=ncees+2008)

NCEES PE Civil: Water Resources and Environmental Sample Questions and Solutions (http://ppi2pass.com/ncees-pe-civil-water-resources-and-environmental-sample-questions-solutions-ncpecw.html)

Essentials of Soil Mechanics and Foundations 6th Edition by McCarthy (Geotech textbook from college) (http://www.amazon.com/Essentials-Soil-Mechanics-Foundations-Geotechnics/dp/B00196VAHG/ref=sr_1_sc_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401204017&sr=1-3-spell&keywords=mccarth%2C+essentials+of+soil+mechanics)

PM Exam

CERM 13th Edition

All-In-One PE Exam Guide: Breadth and Depth 2nd Edition by Goswami (http://www.amazon.com/Civil-Engineering-All-In-One-Exam-Guide/dp/0071787720/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401203637&sr=8-1&keywords=all+in+one+goswami)

All-In-One Civil Engineering PE Practice Exams: Breadth and Depth by Goswami (http://www.amazon.com/Civil-Engineering-PE-Practice-Exams/dp/0071777113/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y)

School of PE notes

NCEES PE Civil Sample Questions and Solutions (http://www.amazon.com/PE-Civil-Sample-Questions-Solutions/dp/1932613315/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401203802&sr=1-10&keywords=ncees+2008)

NCEES PE Civil: Water Resources and Environmental Sample Questions and Solutions (http://ppi2pass.com/ncees-pe-civil-water-resources-and-environmental-sample-questions-solutions-ncpecw.html)

Hydrology and Floodplain Analysis (http://www.amazon.com/Hydrology-Floodplain-Analysis-Philip-Bedient/dp/0132567962/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401204096&sr=1-1&keywords=hydrology+and+floodplain+analysis)

Water Resources Engineering (http://www.amazon.com/Water-Resources-Engineering-Ray-Linsley/dp/0070380104/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401204058&sr=1-5&keywords=water+resources+engineering)

Introduction to Environmental Engineering (http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Environmental-Engineering-Mackenzie-Davis/dp/0070159181/ref=sr_1_18?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401204146&sr=1-18&keywords=introduction+to+environmental+engineering) NOTE: There is a newer version out.

Wastewater Engineering: Treatment and Reuse (aka Metcalf & Eddy) http://www.amazon.com/Wastewater-Engineering-Treatment-George-Tchobanoglous/dp/0070418780/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401204192&sr=1-1&keywords=wastewater+engineering+treatment+and+reuse)

Six Minute Solutions: Water Resources/Environmental Engineering (http://ppi2pass.com/six-minute-solutions-for-civil-pe-exam-water-resources-and-environmental-problems-sxcwe.html)

Equation book I made

I've noticed that some people begin studying for the PE exam by reading the CERM cover to cover. In my opinion that is a waste of time. One should begin by starting with one of the NCEES practice exams (see links above) and use that to help diagnose your weaknesses. I had three areas that were giving me trouble which was Structures, Geotech, and Construction. I didn't know I was weak in those areas until after my first attempt. I waited a year to retake it so that I could make sure I nailed down Structures, Geotech, and Construction. Using the NCEES practice exams helped me to quickly diagnose which areas I needed to focus on. My next step is I went on Amazon.com and looked at Mike's PE Guide and read every review. I followed each reviewer (there weren't many) to see what else they purchased and recommended. In a nutshell the list above is what I found that people have used and successfully passed their exam. The point here is to get enough study guides written by different authors that forces you to learn the concepts. Once you go through each study guide a few times you'll be able to blow the NCEES practice exams away. This will help you nail down the important topics and concepts you will likely see on the exam. When you feel comfortable with those concepts that's when you know you're ready to take this exam. Until then save your money and heartache. Exam fees aren't cheap! As you go through the practice exams you will gather a nice collection of equations and become familiar with the CERM and/or All-In-One textbook. Once you have finished going through your study guides and tabbed the equations you have used you can go back and read those appropriated sections. That will cut the fat and help you focus on the meat of the exam.

As you can see above I did take a review course and it was great. However, do not rely on that class alone to help you pass. You will not pass if that is all you study. Think of a prep class as a foundation for a home that you're building. It's up to you to finish the rest so that's where all these study guides come in to play.

The last thing I want to say is to be sure to tab your references. Use the "shag method" (http://engineerboards.com/?showtopic=3714) and you will save a ton of time. I also suggest making an equation booklet for your afternoon topic. Good luck to all future exam takers.

I passed the Water Resources exam this April (fortunately my first go at it). I didn't really bring all that much with me:

CERM

NCEES Practice Problem Sets (most recent and I believe 2000)

Wastewater Engineering (didn't really even use this)

Equation sheets that I had made up from old notes, a local review class, and CERM for quick reference

For the Water Resources exam, I didn't feel that having more and more materials is really necessary as it isn't really an exam where you have to look up tons of values in different tables and charts. The things you have to look up for these types of problems are (for the most part) in the CERM already. My suggestion is to solve lots of problems and be confident in how to approach those different sorts of questions, particularly the ones in the NCEES sample sets.

I passed the 8 hour last October on the first try with the following items. I shook my head when I saw people coming in with a cart of books. There is no time to be searching through too many rerferences.

CERM (it is critical to quickly know where to find equations. You need to have done enough practice problems so that you are very comfortable with this book.)

All-In-One PE Exam Guide (This was my first go to book during the exam. It was easier for me to locate key information but it isn't as in-depth as CERM.)

Fluid Mechanics handouts from Chelapati prep course

I didn't bring Metcalf and Eddy Wastewater. It would have been helpful but I was still able to pass without it.

The exam results are in and I passed 2nd try. I wanted to share which references I used to study for the exam.

AM Exam

CERM 13th Edition (http://ppi2pass.com/civil-engineering-reference-manual-for-the-pe-exam-cerm13.html)

School of PE notes

Mike's PE Guide (http://www.amazon.com/Mikes-Civil-PE-Exam-Guide/dp/1453716343/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401203736&sr=1-1&keywords=mikes+civil+pe)

Pass the Civil PE (http://www.amazon.com/Pass-Civil-Professional-Engineering-Guide/dp/1621419452/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401203770&sr=1-1&keywords=pass+the+civil+pe)

PE-Exam.com (http://ppi2pass.com/breadth-practice-exam-for-the-civil-pe-bpxc.html)

Essentials of Soil Mechanics and Foundations 6th Edition by McCarthy (Geotech textbook from college) (http://www.amazon.com/Essentials-Soil-Mechanics-Foundations-Geotechnics/dp/B00196VAHG/ref=sr_1_sc_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401204017&sr=1-3-spell&keywords=mccarth%2C+essentials+of+soil+mechanics)

PM Exam

CERM 13th Edition

School of PE notes

Hydrology and Floodplain Analysis (http://www.amazon.com/Hydrology-Floodplain-Analysis-Philip-Bedient/dp/0132567962/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401204096&sr=1-1&keywords=hydrology+and+floodplain+analysis)

Water Resources Engineering (http://www.amazon.com/Water-Resources-Engineering-Ray-Linsley/dp/0070380104/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401204058&sr=1-5&keywords=water+resources+engineering)

Introduction to Environmental Engineering (http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Environmental-Engineering-Mackenzie-Davis/dp/0070159181/ref=sr_1_18?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401204146&sr=1-18&keywords=introduction+to+environmental+engineering) NOTE: There is a newer version out.

Wastewater Engineering: Treatment and Reuse (aka Metcalf & Eddy) http://www.amazon.com/Wastewater-Engineering-Treatment-George-Tchobanoglous/dp/0070418780/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401204192&sr=1-1&keywords=wastewater+engineering+treatment+and+reuse)

Six Minute Solutions: Water Resources/Environmental Engineering (http://ppi2pass.com/six-minute-solutions-for-civil-pe-exam-water-resources-and-environmental-problems-sxcwe.html)

Equation book I made

Wow, that is quite a list above! As a WR/ENV review course instructor, let me add that for those starting out studying, keep your list small and build up (if necessary.) In my opinion, the absolute minimum are:

• CERM (13th Edition)

Review course notes (e.g., School of PE's notes for all five disciplines.)
NCEES PE Civil: Water Resources and Environmental Sample Exam (get as many editions as you can.)
Six-Minute Solutions for your discipline.
Dictionary (make sure it covers Environmental terms.)
Metcalf & Eddy Wastewater
Introduction to Environmental Engineering by Davis & Cornwell
After you master the above and feel/learn you are lacking in a subject area, then you should expand and consider purchasing additional books.

Good luck to those studying!

First -- I passed and i was a first time taker.

In response to my own emails -- here is what i did and what worked for me. I took School of PE and started studying online on demand via video late November 2013. I cranked it up after Christimas and was pretty much done with all the material by middle of February. At that point i really felt that i was well set for the Breadth exam but was very concerned about the depth. I was doing Water Resources/Env depth and after going through School of PE's 12hr depth thought to myself " Is this really it". So i desperately started looking for anything out there that would give me more. I came across two resources -- one was PPI depth and the other was EET -- http://www.eet-california.com/.

I wanted material that was exam focussed and not from the Lindeburg book. I kept hearing through these boards that Lindeburg was too much in depth.

In the end i took EET Water Resources Depth. I talked with Nazrul the instructor who teaches the course and was reassured that the course was exam focussed.

And i can tell you folks -- this Water Resources Depth course was what saved me. If you study all the material and do all the work it is a SURE bet for the PM Water Resources. Now you will HAVE to do the work and Nazrul really covers a lot of material -- so it is only a sure bet if you do the work. But again not only did i do the work -- i enjoyed it. Serious -- studying for the PM section was a pleasure.

I know they also have a section focussed on the AM -- I did not do that. For the AM i went with School of PE. Yes in the end i spent a lot of $, but i was determined to take this exam only once and give it my all in that one go. The $ will pay off eventually. Also i have small kids and could not afford to lengthen the process.

Again -- I am convinced EET depth is what saved me on this exam for the PM. I guess some folks say do well in the AM and ride for the PM. I was approaching it with a mindset of do well for the AM and PM so that you have the best shot as you just do not know what kind of questions to expect.

In terms of what i took to the exam -- School of PE material each section in a binder, EET material in two binders, Lindeburg 16th edition, NCEES sample exam which i went over many times to remind myself of the level of difficulty. Thats it and thats all i used.

OK --if you have questions feel free to email me.

Cheers and wish you all well.

Back