April 2012 FE support thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAllen

Reaction score
I have finally decided to re-take the FE exam after being out of school 10 years. While I was in school, I just showed up without any prep work, calculator and got a 68. I didn't really care at the time. Now, I want to get my PE in power, so now is the time!

Plan of attack:

Refresher course - I purchased a CDROM refresher course a few years ago and never signed up to take it due to family issues. Now I've been working my way through the course. One topic a day, for about 3 hours a day, 4 days a week. I'm taking most Friday, Sat, Sun off.

I'm through the 2 math reviews and chemistry, today is material science. It appears this thing covers all the topics. A review on PPI from someone said that they passed the FE due in part to this refresher, so I'm pumped about it. I'm treating this like a real class, I have a folder, eng paper and have been taking notes, working example problems.

After the course, my plan is to work problems by discipline in the FERM yellow book from PPI. Starting with areas that I need the most work on. I'm also familiarizing myself with the HP33s (for rect to polar and a few other functions) and the 115ES.

Once that is done, I'm going to work through the EE PM book from PPI. I'm pretty good at EE problems, this is my specialty.

Once I get through the FERM book, I have the Non-Quantitative questions I'm reviewing and I've also got the 2 sample exams from PPI. I plan on working through what I can, going back reviewing the problems I can't work and work them at least 3 times (I learn by repetition). Then I'll go through a timed one.

A few questions for the long timers.

1. Do you think my study schedule is aggressive enough?

2. Do I need to order any practice exams from NCEES?

Post your study strategies and lets keep each other motivated. I'm the type of person that HAS to dive in....in order to succeed....so this will be by hobby during lunch and from 7pm to 9pm every week night.

I'm new here and I would like to some feedback on suggested review courses and studey schedule as well. Thanks in advance!

If you really want to pass FE in one shot, then I think that you should put yourself in the goal of getting 100%. That mean you should review and practice all the subjects in Electrical Exam Specification from NCEES web site. If you think that you are good at EE, math, chemistry, you still practice more so it will help you in speed and you can get right answers for all questions in those subject in the exam. That will helps you by pass all the wrong answers from those subjects you forget or not study. Never think your preparation is enough, then you will feel happy when you get your result after 12 weeks of the exam.

I think that's a good idea: Study 100% of the material. Walk in there like you are shooting for 100% on the test.

I recently ordered the NCEES Electrical question set. I'm about 1/4 the way through my refresher course. I'm finding this is drudging up formulas I've used in the past and it's all starting to click.

It's almost like a car that hasn't been started in a while....it may take a week or two to fix it up to get it started.

More Thermo tonight, then I'm moving onto Fluid Mechanics and Statics and Dynamics next week.

Here is a link that talks about the review material: http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=15708

I found it helpful and reassuring at the same time.

Back