Need help about a question on refiling

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruxiao

Reaction score
hi there, I have a question about the refiling my application. I got an non-criminal traffic ticket about three months ago and wonder under the Section 3 Question 1, should I check yes and attach the ticket and explanation there? Will that impact the application result, nervous about this?

You can always call/email the board and ask. Shouldn't be a big deal unless you smashed through a parade doing 90 in reverse while texting.

You can always call/email the board and ask. Shouldn't be a big deal unless you smashed through a parade doing 90 in reverse while texting.
They will probably understand this situation as long as you were drunk and/or high when it happened.

But honestly a minor traffic violation will likely not matter. If you lie about it, they will definitely care about the lie.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi there, I have a question about the refiling my application. I got an non-criminal traffic ticket about three months ago and wonder under the Section 3 Question 1, should I check yes and attach the ticket and explanation there? Will that impact the application result, nervous about this?
What state are you in and what is "Section 3 Question 1" asking?

In CA, "back in my day" (2009-2010), the application read like this:

• HAVE YOU EVER BEEN CONVICTED OF A CRIMINAL OFFENSE, MISDEMEANOR OR ENTERED A PLEA OF NOLO CONTENDERE OTHERTHAN FOR A MINOR TRAFFIC OFFENSE? IF YES. EXPLAIN UNDER REMARKS ON REVERSE SIDE. CONVICTIONS DISMISSED UNDER PENALCODE SECTION 1203.4 MUST BE DISCLOSED.

Today (2015), it reads like this:

• Have you ever been convicted of or plead guilty or nolo contendere ["no contest"] to ANY offense in the United States or a foreign country? This includes every citation, infraction, misdemeanor, and/or felony that resulted in a conviction or a plea of guilty or nolo contendere. NOTE: Convictions that were adjudicated in the juvenile court or convictions two years or older under California Health and Safety Code sections 11357(b), ©, (d), (e), or section 11360(b) should NOT be reported. Convictions that were later expunged from the records of the court or set aside pursuant to Sections 1203.4, 1203.4a, or 1203.41 of the California Penal Code or equivalent non-California law MUST be disclosed.

I can't believe they make you list infractions now.

Last edited by a moderator:

• HAVE YOU EVER BEEN CONVICTED OF A CRIMINAL OFFENSE, MISDEMEANOR OR ENTERED A PLEA OF NOLO CONTENDERE OTHERTHAN FOR A MINOR TRAFFIC OFFENSE? IF YES. EXPLAIN UNDER REMARKS ON REVERSE SIDE. CONVICTIONS DISMISSED UNDER PENALCODE SECTION 1203.4 MUST BE DISCLOSED.

• Have you ever been convicted of or plead guilty or nolo contendere ["no contest"] to ANY offense in the United States or a foreign country? This includes every citation, infraction, misdemeanor, and/or felony that resulted in a conviction or a plea of guilty or nolo contendere. NOTE: Convictions that were adjudicated in the juvenile court or convictions two years or older under California Health and Safety Code sections 11357(b), ©, (d), (e), or section 11360(b) should NOT be reported. Convictions that were later expunged from the records of the court or set aside pursuant to Sections 1203.4, 1203.4a, or 1203.41 of the California Penal Code or equivalent non-California law MUST be disclosed.

Wow. What counts as an infraction? Does this mean you have to list parking tickets and library fines?

Wow. What counts as an infraction? Does this mean you have to list parking tickets and library fines?
Don't forget the time your 1st grade teacher had you stand in the corner.

Don't forget the time your 1st grade teacher had you stand in the corner.
I assume it's only a government infraction if you went to public school.

I don't get it. Do I have to list my parking tickets??

They will probably understand this situation as long as you were drunk and/or high when it happened.

But honestly a minor traffic violation will likely not matter. If you lie about it, they will definitely care about the lie.
The boards would be pissed if you weren't drunk & high while getting this ticket.

A parking ticket isn't a "minor traffic offense"?
Sorry, I am not entirely sure what you are asking but I do believe a parking ticket is a citation, if not an infraction in California. 

" ... includes every citation, infraction, misdemeanor ... "

[SIZE= 11px]Have you ever been convicted of or plead guilty or nolo contendere ["no contest"] to ANY offense in the United States or a foreign country? This includes every citation, infraction, misdemeanor, and/or felony that resulted in a conviction or a plea of guilty or nolo contendere. NOTE: Convictions that were adjudicated in the juvenile court or convictions two years or older under California Health and Safety Code sections 11357(b), ©, (d), (e), or section 11360(b) should NOT be reported. Convictions that were later expunged from the records of the court or set aside pursuant to Sections 1203.4, 1203.4a, or 1203.41 of the California Penal Code or equivalent non-California law MUST be disclosed.[/SIZE]

Sorry, I am not entirely sure what you are asking but I do believe a parking ticket is a citation, if not an infraction in California. 

" ... includes every citation, infraction, misdemeanor ... "

[SIZE= 11px]Have you ever been convicted of or plead guilty or nolo contendere ["no contest"] to ANY offense in the United States or a foreign country? This includes every citation, infraction, misdemeanor, and/or felony that resulted in a conviction or a plea of guilty or nolo contendere. NOTE: Convictions that were adjudicated in the juvenile court or convictions two years or older under California Health and Safety Code sections 11357(b), ©, (d), (e), or section 11360(b) should NOT be reported. Convictions that were later expunged from the records of the court or set aside pursuant to Sections 1203.4, 1203.4a, or 1203.41 of the California Penal Code or equivalent non-California law MUST be disclosed.[/SIZE]
Oh, whoops, I didn't realize that the current application got rid of the mentioning of minor traffic offenses not needing to be listed. I guess the Board cares about those, in which case I read it like you, @ptatohed, meaning that they need to be listed.

Oh, whoops, I didn't realize that the current application got rid of the mentioning of minor traffic offenses not needing to be listed. I guess the Board cares about those, in which case I read it like you, @ptatohed, meaning that they need to be listed.
I called the CA board, they said list everything OTHER than traffic violations.

While the application does say list EVERY, it seems a mistake. The lady I spoke with was quite adamant that you should not list minor traffic offenses such as parking tickets, speeding, etc... 
It makes sense to not list infractions but why did they remove that sentence from one application version to the next?  Maybe all examinees should list all citations/infractions and when the Board gets tired of seeing them listed, they'll correctly revise the application instructions again.  :)  

Back