PE Work Experience?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoon

Reaction score
I recently graduated from UIUC with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. I received my FE last fall, and started working as an operator at a nuclear power plant in the winter.

Does this count towards work experience for the PE? Does anyone know where I can find this information?

Thanks.

I recently graduated from UIUC with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. I received my FE last fall, and started working as an operator at a nuclear power plant in the winter.
Does this count towards work experience for the PE? Does anyone know where I can find this information?

Thanks.
If the section you work in at the plant is managed by a PE and if your work requires you to have engineering knowledge in your daily activity, then you can use your experience for the PE. It sounds like you have some time before you can apply for the PE exam.

Thanks.
It depends on your state. In Virginia, it be considered qualifying, but only if you identify and solve engineering problems in the course of your job. I think that's probably the case, but if you're working as more of a manager or supervisor, it would not be considered qualifying. Also, in Virginia, it does not need to be performed under the direction of a PE.

the state board should have some standards what they consider adequate. like problem-solving etc., planning etc. I don't think you need to fullfill each one of them.

You'll need references from PE and they should have worked with you (not necessarily above you, could also be consultants you worked with on projects) as long as they can judge how you work. I don't think your direct supervisor needs to be a PE. This may depend. In my case my uber-boss is a PE (and also reference), not my direct supervisor.

this all may vary from state to state

Back