Civil Breadth - Means & Methods

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cszlaien

Reaction score
What resources and guides are available for the questions related to the means & methods portion of the AM exam?

The CERM seems to be pretty useless when it comes to that and was wondering what other books I would need

The All in One by Dr Goswami covers this pretty good

So the question is when is the CERM going to catch up and update their contents??

So the question is when is the CERM going to catch up and update their contents??
I'm guessing with the next edition. But, their latest edition just came out last year (I think).

I'm guessing with the next edition. But, their latest edition just came out last year (I think).
For this April, it was out-of-date significantly for all masonry stuff, for steel and concrete although the specs changed from AISC 13th to 14th and ACI 8 to 11 I think it was good enough, but they should really come up with their 15th edition before this October...

I doubt they will.

I'm contemplating getting the new edition of the All in One when it comes out. I'm concerned that having too many references will cause me to waste time during the exam.

What kind of masonry (or any means and methods, really) are you expecting in the AM that you couldn't solve with any random book?

Brick sizes, rebar, joints, etc don't change. Anything that is code related is going to be in the Construction PM.

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of masonry (or any means and methods, really) are you expecting in the AM that you couldn't solve with any random book?

Brick sizes, rebar, joints, etc don't change. Anything that is code related is going to be in the Construction PM.
I was thinking from my perspective, structural PM. For the AM portion you are right it should be enough

Doubtful, especially for the AM.

Off the top of my head, the only really unique portions of that code are the wind reductions for shorter duration periods and platform live loads (maybe one or two more). Most of it parrots ASCE 7.

Back