Chemical Exam Notes

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rudy

Is this it?
Reaction score
For my last (and passing) attempt at the ChE exam, I created notes as I studied and practiced problems. I copied the NCEES spec's for the exam into a Word document. Then, I added notes and a problem reference lists, underneath each subtopic.

This ensured that I studied items on the NCEES list and was not distracted to study different topics. During the exam (for each of the 3 times I took it) there was always at least one problem that I remembered practicing something similar, but wasted too much time looking in my reference books, and then not finding it. This was especially heart-breaking when I failed with a 69, then thought, "What if I could of found a similar problem in my references."

Attached are the notes I created. I hope they will be useful to you. If you end up using these notes and updating them, or create your own, please post them to help future test takers.

Please let me know if they were useful.

PE_exam_Chemical.doc

Attachments

• PE_exam_Chemical.doc
    401 KB · Views: 468
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the idea. I'll probably prepare something similar for my exam (control systems) when it comes time for me to start preparing in earnest.

I'm glad it's useful. The notes started out as a few pages, but then grew the more I studied and practiced. They also gave me more confidence when I walked into the exam.

That's perfect...I had planned on putting something like that together, but hadn't gotten to it yet. THANKS!

Hi Rudy,

Thanks for sharing your notes and advise.

I also want to know the book you use/reference as "Plant Design" in your notes.

Thanks.

Samzmom

Hi Samzmom08,

Welcome to engineerboards. You're welcome for the notes. The "Plant Design" book is my old college plant design book which I used in the 1990's. There might be a newer edition. Here's the actual title of the book: "Plant Desgin and Economics for Chemical Engineers," 4th edition, by Max S. Peters and Klaus D. Timmerhaus. It's from the McGraw-Hill Chemical Engineering Series. McGraw-Hill is the publisher.

The plant design book has economic equations and examples that I could not find in the Chemical Engineering Reference Manual (CheRM) from the "other site." These particular economic equations and examples fell under NCEES topic: VI Plant Design and Operations / A. Economic Consideration / 1. Equipment-cost correlations and 2. Operating costs. The CheRM has good equations for "Time Value of Money" (NCEES topic: VI Plant Design and Operations / A. Economic Consideration / 3. Time value of money).

I did not use this book during my first two times. But did use it during my third and final time. I think as long as you find reference material that applies to the NCEES ChE topics, you should be fine. Perhaps your old college Plant Design book or a Plant Design book from a co-worker.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for this post. I think it is a great idea! I have a 6th ed. CERM that I used when I took the exam last year. I plan to take again in October 2008. When reading through the paper it seems that the Das book has a lot of topics not well covered in the 6th CERM. Can you please tell me what edition of the Das review book you had when you created this document?

I will post an updated copy when I get finished.

Thanks again!

csm

Glad to help. I used the 3rd edition of Das, copyright date 2005.

Yes, you are missing something... the notes are there... just teasing. :)

The notes keep getting removed. I just updated the post and re-loaded the notes.

Man I just ordered Levenspiel and I wish I would have read that a bit and had it for the exam, I feel like a real idiot for not pre ordering it and studying up on it, hopefully it wont be relevant.

Das review refers to Chemical Engineering reference review by dilip das. I think exam refers to the same reference aswell. I have not taken this review or exam but just studied CHERM, NCEES exam, six minute problems and octave levenspiel.

Back