$100k

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anyone making $100k

• 10 yrs experience

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • 10- 20 yrs

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • + 20 yrs

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
I notice that there is a point/threshold where more money equates to less happiness. As mention ed above, I think it has to do with being career driven rather than life driven.

Nuclear field will pay system engineers "6 figures" in less then 10 years if you work at the same utility.

Until I took my newer job, I would say money was pretty tight. I live in a moderate cost of living area, have 3 kids, and a spouse that doesn't work. I was making >$85k and money was a constant stress. I haven't had any debt for some time. Fast forward, I bought a house, and I had a significant pay increase to >$100k and while money is not tight any more, by the time I fund retirement, college accounts, and pay my mortgage, there isn't a whole lot of fun money left over at the end of the month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this still relevant?  You can work for the Federal Government as a Environmental Engineer and make 100K.  (I do.)  However, 100K doesn't feel like all that much money in DC given how expensive it is to live here.  However with the government you reach that level (GS-13) fairly quickly and then it becomes very very difficult to get any higher - especially if you want to be technical and not a supervisor.

How do Env Engineers fare outside of the Federal Government?  It looks like FedGov is the highest paying employer for Env Engineers (according to BLS data https://www.bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/environmental-engineers.htm#tab-5). I'm curious about long term salary growth.  I understand how the Federal Government's system works (go up in "step" over a specified period of time based on the GS Scale https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/salaries-wages/2017/general-schedule/), but it seems hard to figure that out for private employers.

i dislike that the FedGov pay system puts technical professionals (e.g. engineers, lawyers, scientists) on the same pay schedule as administrative people who don't have technical backgrounds (e.g. administrative assistants, budget analysts).  But if FedGov really is the highest paying employer it wouldn't make any sense to leave it.

What about someone with 3 years of experience who's just an EIT!  :D  

Just broke 6 digits as of this year through some lucky promotions (my manager left and I stepped up). 

I work for a consulting firm (environmental) in Houston, TX but I definitely don't feel like I make a lot of money compared to my friends who work as petroleum/chemical engineers at the major O&G companies. 

Back