Total Study Hours

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took the Mechanical PE. Looking back, one thing that I believe really helped me; I took off 4 Fridays leading up to the exam and spent entire 8hr days at the library. I would sit FULLY ENGAGED and work problems / sample exams with all my reference materials. This was quality study time and prepared me for the exam day experience. Get used to working with earplugs. Overall, I probably logged ~260hrs including online class time.

Including time in review courses (test masters - 75 hrs, Florida Eng. Society review course - 18 hrs), somewhere between 130 and 150.

I don't remember the exact number, but it was at least 300 hours.

Good luck with your studies.

~200- 250. One thing I found helpful is on the weekends leading up to the exam, I lengthened the study sessions to 8-9 hours to simulate the length of the exam so I wasn't burnt out at hour 6.

I studied an effective 200 or so hours and passed on the first try. One thing that helped me was studying for 7 intense weeks leading up to the exam as opposed to casually studying for 3 months. That strategy seems to work a bit better for me. My entire life in those 7 weeks was work and PE studying. I used the same strategy for GRE and it worked.

Last edited by a moderator:
8-hour PE exam: Around 200-250 study hours including a weekly review course. I started studying July 1st last year and passed the October exam the first try.

California Seismic and Survey exams: Around 150-200 hours including a weekly review course.

Back