HOW DO I ORDER MY SEAL?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgot to mention, Check you state board requirements for the engineer seal. There might be requirements for the size, name and words "Licensed or Registered". Also, the board should give you a license number. Make sure you include this in the order. You probably already know this but if that's the case its just a reminder.

And congrats for getting your PE!

Did you send in your resignation letter yet?

Natgas does your state issue a license number immediately? I have to wait a month or so for some bs paperwork :(

Natgas does your state issue a license number immediately? I have to wait a month or so for some bs paperwork :(

Not sure how quickly Florida issues the license number... I will check on Monday... I hear its expensive though, gonna see if the job is gonna pay for it...

Forgot to mention, Check you state board requirements for the engineer seal. There might be requirements for the size, name and words "Licensed or Registered". Also, the board should give you a license number. Make sure you include this in the order. You probably already know this but if that's the case its just a reminder.

And congrats for getting your PE! I think I am going to pump brakes until Monday after my meeting with my boss... trying to see what kind of raise i get out of them... But most likely I will be done by year's end...

Bigwigg

And congrats for getting your PE!

I think I am going to pump brakes until Monday after my meeting with my boss... trying to see what kind of raise i get out of them... But most likely I will be done by year's end...

No NateGasPE, I cannot afford to send in my resignation letter. I am self-employed.

My website explains what I do.

www.palmettoinfrared.com

Ultimately, it looks like for me personally to max out the significance of this PE I have to be self-employed. I have a lot ideas of things I would like to do but being at a company its hard to fulfill those aspirations. Any advice for what it took mentally to make that jump to start your own business? Also, how do you plan to use your PE to better your business?

I got my PE license on the last April session in Florida, I receive the approval notice in June but the license number I received in July so I think that you need to wait at least a month to get the number and later you can order the seal. By the moment enjoy you approval letter and congratulations!

NatGasPE--Congratulations on passing the PE exam! The question you ask is one that we frequently address. If you want to go on your own, you need to do so, however, as I mentioned in a previous post to you, you really need to think long and hard before you pull the trigger. I am in private consulting practice-- have been for several years--it works, however, you have to make it work each and every day! What i mean by that is if you don't make something happen that day, nothing happens. Want to go screw around-- do it-- unless you have a contract or two, you won't get paid.

If I were in your shoes-- I would build a timeline-- say 3 years down the road and then start acquiring the tools that you will need to go on your own. Computer, software, industry knowledge, etc. Unless you have some super special high in demand skill set-- and you very possibly may have-- going on your own is hard, hard work. Do you like to get out and network? Make 100 cold calls and get 98 No's, 1 maybe and 1 we'll see when you make your presentation? This is each and every day-- for remember, you have to keep the pipeline full in order to eat.

If you need some more skill development or special training, have the big company help you get it. Oh, you can do it on your own, however, you pay for it out of your own pocket. You will soon find that everything comes out of youir pocket, i.e., your PE licensing fees, NSPE dues, State PE Dues, insurance, insurance, computer, legal, accounting, IT-- all of it. I am not trying to scare you or talk you out of jumping in, however, I am trying my damndest to try and make **** sure you know what you are getting into.

Now, you may get a couple of nice contracts right off the bat-- however, then you may need to find some staffers-- remember, you cannot do it all-- if you try, you will soon find out, from the hospital bed, that you cannot. I know, I found out the hard way-- in the hospital. Further recall that the staff and everyone else eats before you eat-- so-- you may end up eating a lot of noodles with a little hot water-- not any fun at 30+ yrs of age!

You may decide to find a partner that has complimentary skills-- what he/she does is NOT what you do-- so you can enhance your practice. There are some real challenges with partners, however, many have done well-- think Hewlett Packard.

IMHO, give this a lot of thought before you pull the trigger, you may not have a home to come back to if this does not work out. Of course, there is no reason to believe that it won't work out either, however, play all the options, at least intellectually, before you pull the trigger.

NatGasPE--Congratulations on passing the PE exam! The question you ask is one that we frequently address. If you want to go on your own, you need to do so, however, as I mentioned in a previous post to you, you really need to think long and hard before you pull the trigger. I am in private consulting practice-- have been for several years--it works, however, you have to make it work each and every day! What i mean by that is if you don't make something happen that day, nothing happens. Want to go screw around-- do it-- unless you have a contract or two, you won't get paid.

If I were in your shoes-- I would build a timeline-- say 3 years down the road and then start acquiring the tools that you will need to go on your own. Computer, software, industry knowledge, etc. Unless you have some super special high in demand skill set-- and you very possibly may have-- going on your own is hard, hard work. Do you like to get out and network? Make 100 cold calls and get 98 No's, 1 maybe and 1 we'll see when you make your presentation? This is each and every day-- for remember, you have to keep the pipeline full in order to eat.

If you need some more skill development or special training, have the big company help you get it. Oh, you can do it on your own, however, you pay for it out of your own pocket. You will soon find that everything comes out of youir pocket, i.e., your PE licensing fees, NSPE dues, State PE Dues, insurance, insurance, computer, legal, accounting, IT-- all of it. I am not trying to scare you or talk you out of jumping in, however, I am trying my damndest to try and make **** sure you know what you are getting into.

Now, you may get a couple of nice contracts right off the bat-- however, then you may need to find some staffers-- remember, you cannot do it all-- if you try, you will soon find out, from the hospital bed, that you cannot. I know, I found out the hard way-- in the hospital. Further recall that the staff and everyone else eats before you eat-- so-- you may end up eating a lot of noodles with a little hot water-- not any fun at 30+ yrs of age!

You may decide to find a partner that has complimentary skills-- what he/she does is NOT what you do-- so you can enhance your practice. There are some real challenges with partners, however, many have done well-- think Hewlett Packard.

IMHO, give this a lot of thought before you pull the trigger, you may not have a home to come back to if this does not work out. Of course, there is no reason to believe that it won't work out either, however, play all the options, at least intellectually, before you pull the trigger.

great advice...

I strongly second what solomonb said. I have my own energy assessment/inspection business and it is HARD to build up a clientele base sufficient enough where you can support yourself. Also, there are the little things such as if the work is seasonal. I do not know if civil work is seasonal but if it is like mine you will find out that you will have to work 60-70 hrs a week for a two months straight getting as much jobs as you can do efficiently because you found out the year before that there is very little work for half of the year. Something to consider.

The importance of being self-motivated and dedicated cannot be emphasized enough when starting a business. Also, are you married? Do you have children? I am not married and do not have children but I know that if I did I would not be able to dedicate the time necessary to start my business.

In all honesty, now since I have my PE I am thinking about working as a third-party contractor doing performance contracting, energy modeling, etc for engineering firms along with my inspection business. Here in SC most MEP firms focus only on design and equipment upgrade projects, however, energy modeling is starting to take off. Perhaps there is a specialty service that you can contract out to other engineering firms since they already have a client base and you have a skill in demand. This may be an option. Just food for thought.

(Luke 14:28, 29) 28 For example, who of YOU that wants to build a tower does not first sit down and calculate the expense, to see if he has enough to complete it? 29 Otherwise, he might lay its foundation but not be able to finish it, . . .

great advice...

I have enough work (pre-committments) of probably anywhere from 2K to 4K in projected monthly revenues,which is much less than my current monthly salary and I was hoping to build on that. The good thing is that my client is the same company I work for. I work for a nat gas utility that I have built a great relation with so I know that will be my bread and butter starting out. But your point is well taken. I will have to continue to market everyday non-stop which I have no problem doing because I love networking, but I am afraid I will need a partner or admin staff to sustain. Honestly, Im ready... I have enough cash on hand to sustain 6 to 9 months without any revenues, but i would rather not tap into that.. I need to make sure this will be the right move..

Engineerseals has reasonable prices for embossed and rubber stamps. They also allow you to search by State, so you can only buy a tailor-made stamp that matches your State's specifications exactly. If you have any problems with the seal, they will replace it.

Nat GasPE-- Go for it! Turn in your letter and go-- there is no reason to continue to think about it. We have given you some great advice, you understand said advice, have money ready to go-- do it. You will never know what will happen if you don't jump. Perhaps you should have done this 5 months ago-- OK, don't talk about it. DO IT! We are here for you-- I think that we have clearly defined the probable challenges you MIGHT encounter. You MAY NOT encounter these challenges either-- go for it-- let's get started-- no reason to talk about it-- make it happen-- NOW!

Back