Hiner - Appendix D - Relative Rigidity Tables

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palvarez83

Project Engineer
Reaction score
Can someone help clarify/confirmed how to use the relative rigity tables in the Hiner book? I obviously see there is only one input variable in the equation (H/D). What isn't clear is the top the rows and columns. I suspect that I'm supposed to add the H/D' from the row header and the column header to get more precise on the decimal.

For example if I'm working off of table D1 and my H/D was 0.52, I would go with the 0.5 row and the .002 column to make 0.52 and return the answer Rc = 4.712.

Is this corrrect? It appears to match with the equations. However, the chart is pretty obscure so thought I'd make sure.

p8,

Yes, what you said is correct. On tables D1 and D2, the left column is selected based on the one's and tenth's place of your calculated wall's H / D. The top row is for the hundredth's place of your calculated H / D.

For example, if your wall's H / D was 3.47, start with the left hand column and go to "3.40". Then go across until you reach the top row's "0.07". Rc = 0.056.

To test this, use the formula: Rc = 1 / [0.4 (H / D)3 + 0.3 (H / D)] = 1 / [0.4 (3.47)3 + 0.3 (3.47)] = 0.056326

Table D1 is for cantilever (flexible roof) concrete/masonry shear walls/piers and D2 is for fixed (rigid roof) concrete/masonry shear walls/piers. The problem statement should typically tell you whether you have a cantilever or fixed wall but if it does not, use Table D1 (more conservative).

Back