New 2015 PE Exam Format - Transporation

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Last Shadow

Reaction score
Hi all

I am signed up to take the new Spring 2015 PE Exam in Transportation. I have the 12th edition of CERM that i plan on studying from. Is it absolutely necessary that i buy the latest edition of CERM (14th) given that the exam format has changed a bit? On a similar note, what books are you guys using to prepare for the exam (specifically for the new topics)?

Appreciate your help!!

Finally, some company ....

I wouldn't use the CERM for any transpo stuff ..... use your Green Book, HCM, RDG, etc ...

I have a 10th edition CERM ... the morning stuff should all be good in your 12th edition.

I've been using Mansour's Transpo book for the afternoon depth. I really like it, and it summarizes most of the key tables and lookups for the afternoon.

Try some of the quizzes posted in the forum

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, as John said 12th edition should be good enough. Although I didn't use CERM that much in the morning, that was just too intimidating for me.

I used learncivilengineering.com notes for the morning. They are organized per topics in the exams.

Just based on my current studies, I have a feeling I'm going to be using anything but CERM unless absolutely necessary. That book is just too complicated to use, IMO.

I would normally agree with you guys that the CERM (and/or All-In-One) is all you will need for the AM. But I am not so sure anymore! The AM outline has changed quite significantly. Do you guys really think the CERM sufficiently covers all the topics below? I actually don't think so (not all of the topics anyway).

I. Project Planning
A. Quantity take-off methods
B. Cost estimating
C. Project schedules
D. Activity identification and sequencing

II. Means and Methods
A. Construction loads
B. Construction methods
C. Temporary structures and facilities

III. Soil Mechanics
A. Lateral earth pressure
B. Soil consolidation
C. Effective and total stresses
D. Bearing capacity
E. Foundation settlement
F. Slope stability

IV. Structural Mechanics
A. Dead and live loads
B. Trusses
C. Bending (e.g., moments and stresses)
D. Shear (e.g., forces and stresses)
E. Axial (e.g., forces and stresses)
F. Combined stresses
G. Deflection
H. Beams
I. Columns
J. Slabs
K. Footings
L. Retaining walls

V. Hydraulics and Hydrology
A. Open-channel flow
B. Stormwater collection and drainage (e.g., culvert, stormwater inlets, gutter flow, street flow, storm sewer pipes)
C. Storm characteristics (e.g., storm frequency, rainfall measurement and distribution)
D. Runoff analysis (e.g., Rational and SCS/NRCS methods, hydrographic application, runoff time of concentration)
E. Detention/retention ponds
F. Pressure conduit (e.g., single pipe, force mains, Hazen-Williams, Darcy-Weisbach, major and minor losses)
G. Energy and/or continuity equation (e.g., Bernoulli)

VI. Geometrics
A. Basic circular curve elements (e.g., middle ordinate, length, chord, radius)
B. Basic vertical curve elements
C. Traffic volume (e.g., vehicle mix, flow, and speed)

VII. Materials
A. Soil classification and boring log interpretation
B. Soil properties (e.g., strength, permeability, compressibility, phase relationships)
C. Concrete (e.g., nonreinforced, reinforced)
D. Structural steel
E. Material test methods and specification conformance
F. Compaction

VIII. Site Development
A. Excavation and embankment (e.g., cut and fill)
B. Construction site layout and control
C. Temporary and permanent soil erosion and sediment control (e.g., construction erosion control and permits, sediment transport, channel/outlet protection)
D. Impact of construction on adjacent facilities
E. Safety (e.g., construction, roadside, work zone)

I wouldn't use the CERM for any transpo stuff ..... use your Green Book, HCM, RDG, etc ...

I have a 10th edition CERM ... the morning stuff should all be good in your 12th edition.

I've been using Mansour's Transpo book for the afternoon depth. I really like it, and it summarizes most of the key tables and lookups for the afternoon.

hey

is this the book you're referring to?

http://www.amazon.com/Transportation-Depth-PM-Civil-License/dp/1940409659/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1418848618&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=mansour+transportation

hey

http://www.amazon.com/Transportation-Depth-PM-Civil-License/dp/1940409659/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1418848618&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=mansour+transportation

http://www.passpe.com/products/materials.html

I have the combo AM/PM book, but yes, that is what I was talking about.

I would normally agree with you guys that the CERM (and/or All-In-One) is all you will need for the AM. But I am not so sure anymore! The AM outline has changed quite significantly. Do you guys really think the CERM sufficiently covers all the topics below? I actually don't think so (not all of the topics anyway).

I. Project Planning

A. Quantity take-off methods

B. Cost estimating

C. Project schedules

D. Activity identification and sequencing

II. Means and Methods

A. Construction loads

B. Construction methods

C. Temporary structures and facilities

III. Soil Mechanics

A. Lateral earth pressure

B. Soil consolidation

C. Effective and total stresses

D. Bearing capacity

E. Foundation settlement

F. Slope stability

IV. Structural Mechanics

A. Dead and live loads

B. Trusses

C. Bending (e.g., moments and stresses)

D. Shear (e.g., forces and stresses)

E. Axial (e.g., forces and stresses)

F. Combined stresses

G. Deflection

H. Beams

I. Columns

J. Slabs

K. Footings

L. Retaining walls

V. Hydraulics and Hydrology

A. Open-channel flow

B. Stormwater collection and drainage (e.g., culvert, stormwater inlets, gutter flow, street flow, storm sewer pipes)

C. Storm characteristics (e.g., storm frequency, rainfall measurement and distribution)

D. Runoff analysis (e.g., Rational and SCS/NRCS methods, hydrographic application, runoff time of concentration)

E. Detention/retention ponds

F. Pressure conduit (e.g., single pipe, force mains, Hazen-Williams, Darcy-Weisbach, major and minor losses)

G. Energy and/or continuity equation (e.g., Bernoulli)

VI. Geometrics

A. Basic circular curve elements (e.g., middle ordinate, length, chord, radius)

B. Basic vertical curve elements

C. Traffic volume (e.g., vehicle mix, flow, and speed)

VII. Materials

A. Soil classification and boring log interpretation

B. Soil properties (e.g., strength, permeability, compressibility, phase relationships)

C. Concrete (e.g., nonreinforced, reinforced)

D. Structural steel

E. Material test methods and specification conformance

F. Compaction

VIII. Site Development

A. Excavation and embankment (e.g., cut and fill)

B. Construction site layout and control

C. Temporary and permanent soil erosion and sediment control (e.g., construction erosion control and permits, sediment transport, channel/outlet protection)

D. Impact of construction on adjacent facilities

E. Safety (e.g., construction, roadside, work zone)

I'm personally leaving this to by boys at EET to prepare all this stuff in easy to use notes and study guides.

hey

hey thanks for the link

prices seem too steep on passpe.com

looks like the same book is about a $100 cheaper on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Transportation-Module-Breadth-Depth-License/dp/1940409012/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0EXCD2TFWPMJ2QR8KY96

am i missing something here? The ISBN numbers do match so i'm guessing they are both the same..

Yes, as John said 12th edition should be good enough. Although I didn't use CERM that much in the morning, that was just too intimidating for me.

I used learncivilengineering.com notes for the morning. They are organized per topics in the exams.
Where do you see notes on learncivilengineering.com? I only see a couple of the sections for the breadth that have notes.

hey

hey thanks for the link

prices seem too steep on passpe.com

looks like the same book is about a $100 cheaper on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Transportation-Module-Breadth-Depth-License/dp/1940409012/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0EXCD2TFWPMJ2QR8KY96

am i missing something here? The ISBN numbers do match so i'm guessing they are both the same..

Nope .... I bought mine off Amazon as well. Same book, order filled by passpe.com .... just cheaper.

He is publishing and errata for the book shortly, to cover the new outline.

Where do you see notes on learncivilengineering.com? I only see a couple of the sections for the breadth that have notes.
It seems like the notes are taken off the website. I think I have the pdfs, I can dig into it if you want it.

It seems like the notes are taken off the website. I think I have the pdfs, I can dig into it if you want it.
That would be great!

That would be great!
PM me your email address, I will send it to you.

Back