HVAC?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adair1492

Reaction score
I've been reading through the EERM and there are several chapters on HVAC (heating requirements, cooling requirements, ducts, etc), but I don't see this mentioned on the overall outline for the test. Is it covered under the "Basic Principles" for the air section? Is it even on the test?

I have both my undergraduate and masters degree in environmental engineering but I've never worked with HVAC so I'm kind of freaking out that I'll have to learn it all in the next few weeks.

'Classic" HVAC, as discussed in the ENVRM, is not something you should expect on the exam. Indoor air quality issues are of course fair game. Things like ventilation rates, common indoor air pollutants and their standards, those types of things. I skipped the HVAC chapters entirely and had not problems. You have to keep in mind that PPI's manuals are all modular. The HVAC chapters are included, word for word, in several of them (Mech., Civil, Enviro, etc.). In fact, the ENVRM is kind of crappy because it is made up mostly of chapters from the Civil and Chemical manuals, and could stand some much better and more specific chapters on haz waste and site remediation (unless there is an edition newer than the second, which I am not aware of).

Thank you! I am actually studying from the 3rd edition which was just released a few months ago (but appears to be pretty much the same). I have been studying ventilation rates and other air pollution issues, but the chapters about air conditioner and furnace sizing were making me pull my hair out.

I didn't know there was a third edition - thanks for mentioning that.

Could you post a review of it, following your exam? Pass or fail, your thoughts on how well the new ENVRM helped you out would be very useful for most readers here, I think.

I found the second edition to be pretty useful for the water topics, and decent for air pollution. But like I mentioned, it was completely inadequate for haz and solid waste, and site remediation. Do you know, yet, if those chapters have been beefed up?

Oh and good luck!

I'll definitely post a review of the new EERM. I haven't seen a copy of the second edition so I'm not sure how much different they are. It has definitely been useful for water topics and air pollution, but there are only four chapters for solid waste, haz waste, and remediation. Total of about 60 pages for everything. Luckily I work in remediation, so I'm hoping that will carry me over enough to pass.

It makes sense that those sections would be completely lacking since the EERM is just chunks from other manuals lumped together. Nothing else would deal with those topics.

I took the exam 3 years ago and agree that you don't need to know anything from those chapters. I just flipped through my 2nd edition EERM and I might have had a question about fan power or efficiency...those equations look familiar but I don't use them at work. I wouldn't waste studying time on them.

Back