HSM in pdf, legit?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ModestMussorgsky

Reaction score
There's a pdf of the HSM floating around online. Its from another country, dated 2009, and isn't titled as an AASHTO document anywhere. But it's table of contents/structure is almost identical to the real thing. Has anyone seen this? Is it a viable reference for the test?

We discussed this during the School of PE depth portion. The professor recommended it instead of purchasing but some did point out that it appears to be a draft version which is why all of the lines are numbered. It is def an AASHTO document. I already printed the first volume and it is what I'm taking. I also grabbed the index and table of contents off the HSM website since this version didn't have it.

I am taking this risk because spending another $200+ on it isn't worth it and I'm not going to ask my firm to buy a book we really don't need.

I hope it's is the legit thing, because that's the one in planning to use. It was fouled on the AASHTO website so Worst case scenario is a bit out dated, but I don't think these documents change too much. Blg, where did you find the index?

Well, went on the HSM site to get you the link and stumbled upon this which makes me feel better. They are offering a PE exam edition which doesn't include the 2014 supplement. So aside from any small changes within that draft, I'm confident in what I have.

My mistake, I was thinking I had the index but it was the toc and errata. Go to the site below and you'll see a link for them towards the bottom.

https://bookstore.transportation.org/collection_detail.aspx?ID=135

Can you guys provide a link to this draft HSM? I can tell you how close it is to the final version.

I think the nuts and bolts are there ...

I browsed through Chapter 3, and the equations are there .... the formatting is nothing like the real thing... but who cares about that.

Now don't take this as Gospel ... I literally spent 5 minutes matching up a couple equations ...

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=10.5pt]I did a "decent cursory" review comparing Chapts 1 - 9 (the only chapters tested on the exam) of the 2009 Draft HSM to the 2010 published HSM. They are very nearly identical. Some formatting differences like JQ said. Also, a few differences in terminology, the most notable being the draft uses AMF (Accident Modification Factor) and the 2010 1st edition uses CMF (Crash Modification Factor). Probably the biggest difference I saw was the published version has an end-of-chapter Appendix 3A through 3E at the end of Chapt 3 but the draft does not. Everything else is nearly identical.[/SIZE]

Appendix 3A—Average Crash Frequency Estimation Methods

With And Without Historic Crash Data.................................................................................. 3-29

3A.1. Statistical Notation and Poisson Process....................................................................................... 3-29

3A.2. Reliability and Standard Error...................................................................................................... 3-30

3A.3. Estimating Average Crash Frequency Based on Historic Data

of One Roadway or One Facility.................................................................................................. 3-32

3A.4. Estimating Average Crash Frequency Based on Historic Data

of Similar Roadways or Facilities.................................................................................................. 3-35

3A.5. Estimating Average Crash Frequency Based on Historic Data

of the Roadway or Facilities and Similar Roadways and Facilities.................................................. 3-36

Appendix 3B—Derivation of Spfs................................................................................................ 3-41

3B.1. Safety Performance as a Regression Function.............................................................................. 3-41

3B.2. Using a Safety Performance Function to Predict and Estimate Average Crash Frequency.............. 3-43

Appendix 3C—Cmf And Standard Error................................................................................... 3-44

Appendix 3D—Indirect Safety Measurement.......................................................................... 3-47

Appendix 3E—Speed And Safety................................................................................................... 3-50

3E.1. Pre-Event or Pre-Crash Phase—Crash Probability and Running Speed.......................................... 3-50

3E.2. Event Phase—Crash Severity and Speed Change at Impact.......................................................... 3-53

3E.3. Crash Frequency and Average Operating Speed.......................................................................... 3-55

Ptatohed,

Thank you. Your work is truly appreciated. I'm taking the free copy with me. I have a question. Do we need part C right after chapter 9?. Or should I just print up to chapter 9. I think it's page 350 on the PDF version.

Ptatohed,

Thank you. Your work is truly appreciated. I'm taking the free copy with me. I have a question. Do we need part C right after chapter 9?. Or should I just print up to chapter 9. I think it's page 350 on the PDF version.
afraid, no you do not. Part C is Chapt 10 on. According to the NCEES reference list, you will only be tested in Parts A and B (Chapts 1 - 9).

Anyone have an updated link to this document? Would like to use for the upcoming exam. Thanks.

Anyone have an updated link to this document? Would like to use for the upcoming exam. Thanks.
It's cutting it close if you are referring to the exam that is less than two weeks away.  You probably should have obtained it earlier and familiarized yourself with its contents and worked the sample problems and studied some of the key concepts.  I can't seem to find a new link either.  I saved the document though.  I can try to e-mail it to you (it is about 12.4 MB).   

It's cutting it close if you are referring to the exam that is less than two weeks away.  You probably should have obtained it earlier and familiarized yourself with its contents and worked the sample problems and studied some of the key concepts.  I can't seem to find a new link either.  I saved the document though.  I can try to e-mail it to you (it is about 12.4 MB).   
Haha, was this comment really necessary? The exam probably has 1-2 questions max that you need the HSM for, so I don't think it's something you need to pour over for weeks on end...

Haha, was this comment really necessary? The exam probably has 1-2 questions max that you need the HSM for, so I don't think it's something you need to pour over for weeks on end...
Haha, was your question about the comment really necessary?  I think any reference that is intended to be used on the exam should receive at least a cursory review to gain familiarity with the book's contents and layout.  If you are opening it for the first time on exam day and trying to simply use the index, you'll either not be able to answer the question or you'll take too much time doing so.   

Haha, was your question about the comment really necessary?  I think any reference that is intended to be used on the exam should receive at least a cursory review to gain familiarity with the book's contents and layout.  If you are opening it for the first time on exam day and trying to simply use the index, you'll either not be able to answer the question or you'll take too much time doing so.   
:plusone: :plusone: :plusone:

Answered my question with a question, solid response.

I'm not discounting what you said (I agree that all manuals you plan on bringing should be reviewed for familiarity), I was merely asking whether it was necessary to scold the person for asking a question. Telling someone what he should have done doesn't help anyone. 

I can see from poking around here you're a key curator of content generation, so I'm not looking to step on any toes. Sorry if I misinterpreted you, just my 2 cents!  :2cents:

Back